Anne of Green Gables (Puffin Classics) by L.…

Anne of Green Gables (Puffin Classics) (edition 2010)

by L. M. Montgomery (Author)

23,596489110 (4.32)3 / 1065
Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.
Member:MaryPinko
Title:Anne of Green Gables (Puffin Classics)
Authors:L. M. Montgomery (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Heidi [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Johanna Spyri (zottel)
    zottel: Both books describe childhoods of orphan girls, one high up in the Alps, one in rural Canada. Many parallels.

Canada (1)

English (485)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (493)
When I was a pre-teen girl, I was in love with reading Sweet Valley High and Christopher Pike’s thrillers. By some fortunate turn, a thoughtful family member gifted me the first 3 books of this series. The simple fact that these are the books I still treasure and am insisting on reading to my own children, while Mr. Pike and Ms. Pascal have been relegated to distant memories and a knowing shake of the head underscore the difference between quality literature and twaddle.

Anne and Diana became kindred spirits to me growing up, their joys were my joys, their sorrows my sorrows. I learned and grew and laughed, and kept coming back for more. I had my favorite parts that I would revisit if I needed a thrill or a laugh or wanted to feel sad. The funny thing was, it took me until I was an adult and reading the book to my own kids that I realized just how beautiful the language of the book was, how Montgomery would paint scenes or evoke so many emotions with her words. I had used those words to imagine Avonlea and its denizens in great detail, and I didn’t even realize it.

I fully admit my bias in my love for this book. It was a formative part of my youth and as such is a work to which I am fiercely loyal. It also stands up as a book that is at least as enjoyable in adulthood as it was in my youth, which according to CS Lewis is the mark of a good story. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
Jan 2019

I had forgotten how deliciously real Anne Shirley is.
I had forgotten the brilliance of Gilbert-- his imperfect, genuine, youthfulness.
I had forgotten that somehow Montgomery captured real day-to-day, joy-and-sorrow-filled life and put it on a page.

When I was young I found in Anne a "kindred spirit." But now I see her from my Marilla-esque eyes and she is, at times, humorous and naive. But I loved the nostalgic visit.

This was a delight. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
L.M. Montgomery is a long time and all time favorite author of mine. She writes the perfect girls story with just the right mix of adventure, drama and happiness. I find her books a comfort to read and have re-read most of works many times over the years. They are classics for a reason and that reason is they are great. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
A comforting and enchanting book. Reading it really reminds me of all the love I have for the 1980s miniseries. Who could be a more delightful character than Anne Shirley? ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
An adorable and fun read about the most famous red-headed girl in classic literature. I adored Anne Shirley and her story!

Source ( )

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,141,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible