Anne of Green Gables (Signet Classics) by L.…

Anne of Green Gables (Signet Classics) (edition 2003)

by L. M. Montgomery (Author)

23,168479111 (4.32)3 / 1060
Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.
Member:tellen81
Title:Anne of Green Gables (Signet Classics)
Authors:L. M. Montgomery (Author)
Info:Signet (2003), 320 pages
Rating:*****

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Heidi [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Johanna Spyri (zottel)
    zottel: Both books describe childhoods of orphan girls, one high up in the Alps, one in rural Canada. Many parallels.

Canada (1)

English (475)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (483)
This classic novel is the first in a series of eight books. The story follows a red-headed orphan who cannot seem to help getting herself and her friends into trouble. Under all the trouble and the red-headed temper is a sweet girl looking for stability and love. This first book follows Anne from an uncaring home to a new start with the Marilla. Girls of all ages will enjoy this book that explores friendship, love and belonging. One of Anne's quirks is her use of large words. This may be difficult for some children to read, but L.M. Montgomery seamlessly includes the meaning of the words into the pages of the book.
  DaynaVH | Jul 16, 2021 |
A beautifully written story (with more available in the series) with a fun, determined main character. A great book for upper elementary children. A classic. Would be great to read to the class over the course of a few weeks. ( )
  smabile | Jun 8, 2021 |
Good but kind of sappy. How many times did people need their ears surgically reattached because Anne talked them off? ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
Very enjoyable. I had no idea what to expect so I was delighted to find myself laughing out loud regularly at Anne's antics. I wish I'd had time to read the book with my eyes instead of the Audible version, though. While I like Rachel McAdams as an actress, I didn't enjoy her narration of the audiobook. Let me clarify a bit... I thought the dialogue reading was very good but the narrative portions felt monotone and I found myself missing large chunks because I just tuned out.

Still a happy experience that took me away from the horrible things going on in the world today. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
DNF @ 36%

OMG, shut up.

I might have liked this - maybe - when I was younger. And I admit Anne has a certain appeal - when I'm not trying to figure out what kinds of mental health issues she has - but I really can't take any more of this. Plus, this is very much a slice-of-life story, which I do enjoy, but there are no real conflicts here that don't get resolved immediately.

Also, the narration by Rachel McAdams is kind of flat. She comes to life when voicing Anne with an E, but the rest of the time, she's just reading words on a page.
  Linda_Bookworm | May 6, 2021 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,247,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible