High Plains Tango: A Novel by Robert James…

High Plains Tango: A Novel

by Robert James Waller

192594,661 (3.48)7
Carlisle McMillan, a traveler and master carpenter seeking a place of quiet amid the grinding roar of progress. Near Wolf Butte, a strange and apparently haunted monolith, he finds his quiet, or so he believes, and begins rebuilding a decrepit house as a tribute to the gruff old man who taught him a carpenter's skills, rebuilding his life at the same time. He finds two very different, independent women: Gally Deveraux, who works at a diner in Salamander and longs for something more than she is, and Susanna Benteen, beautiful and enigmatic, who was drawn to Salamander for mysterious reasons of her own, a woman the town has labeled a witch. The women and his carpenter's trade and an old Indian known as Flute Player bring Carlisle a sense of contentment for a while. But his quiet is shattered as bulldozer treads begin to turn and the Yerkes County War commences. Run or stand your ground, that is Carlisle's dilemma, Gally on one side, Susanna on the other.… (more)

This is the third in the Bridges of Madison County series. I haven't read the first two so cannot comment on how this one compares. Waller's writing has a dreamy, flowery quality, and like the overly romantic story, it is not to everyone's taste. Carlisle McMillan, the son of of Robert Kincaid (Bridges of Madison County) is a drifter who settles down in a small town and perfectly restores an abandoned house. Carlisle's idealistic life contrasts sharply with the land speculators and developers who plan to ruin his peaceful life.

It's difficult to form an opinion of the story. The characters are either real rotters or they are unbelievably good, or beautiful, or talented, or intelligent. However, this novel has allowed Waller to bang his drum against development and destruction of nature.

In the struggle for domination, one bystander said of the standoff "It was a first-class tango." ( )
  VivienneR | May 15, 2019 |
I loved "Bridges of Madison County" so much and this one is a nice addition to the series. I think the author goes into depth on the characters. He makes you love Carlisle and "drifter" spirit that seems to run in the family. ( )
  Yellele | Jan 8, 2017 |
I picked this up and read it because I enjoyed "Bridges" so much. I think this is a better story than Bridges. Certainly falls into the "ChicLit" category, but I'm good with that - good characters and a good job of exploring human emotion. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
Listened to this boring tape and realized it was repeating itself. Gave disc 2 a tape and it was so monotonous I didn't even realize it also went around to repeat itself again. Gave up! ( )
  saucecav | Aug 29, 2006 |
Another book tangentially related to Bridges of Madison County. This one centers on Robert Kincaid's son, a drifter who attempts to settle down, build a house and new life. --RJM 10/11/05
  rmckeown | Oct 11, 2005 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,919,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible