The Girls by Lori Lansens

The Girls (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Lori Lansens (Author)

The girls, Rose and Ruby Darlen, were born joined at the head in a rural farming community in 1974. Abandoned by their frightened teenage mother, they are adopted by the eccentric nurse who attended their birth, and her husband, a gentle immigrant butcher.
Member:MyOwnWorld
Title:The Girls
Authors:Lori Lansens (Author)
Info:Virago (2007), Edition: Digital original, 352 pages

The Girls by Lori Lansens (2005)

English (133)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (138)
One of my favorite books I've read so far in 2020. Come to think of it, the other book I loved this much in 2020 was also about twin girls -- The Grammarians by Cathleen Schine. ( )
  HeatherMoss | Jul 1, 2020 |
Rose and Ruby Darlen have grown up in the small town of Leaford in Baldoon County, Ontario. Despite being twins, they’ve always striven to be different, refusing to wear the same clothes and cultivating different hobbies. Rose loves books, writing, and watching sports. Ruby is the pretty one, interested in magazines and TV, but also obsessed with the history and artefacts of the Neutral Nation peoples who once lived in their area. The girls’ lives have been simple: they grew up with their Aunt Lovey and Uncle Stash in a big old farmhouse on the outskirts of town and now share a bungalow in Leaford itself. In many ways they are perfectly ordinary. And yet, in one of the most significant ways, they are utterly extraordinary. For Rose and Ruby are craniopagus conjoined twins, joined at the skull. And as the book begins, they are twenty-nine: if they can only reach thirty, they will be the oldest living pair of craniopagus twins (not actually true: see penultimate paragraph). Taking it in turns, they embark on a joint memoir (Ruby being somewhat coerced into it) and Lansens’s absorbing, beautifully-crafted novel draws us into their remarkable lives...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2020/01/31/the-girls-lori-lansens/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Feb 14, 2020 |
This is a fictional memoir of conjoined twins, sad and sweet. It is also the love story of their adoptive parents. Each twin writes her own part and part of the fascination is how two people joined at the head can still see events so differently. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This story of craniopagus twins born in a tornado in Southwestern Ontario was fun and sad and unusual and fascinating all at once. It is written from the perspective of both twins and I hugely admire Lansens's ability to write in two distinctly different voices. It was an enjoyable read and the backdrop of rural southwestern Ontario was one I particularly enjoyed. Occasionally, the writing slipped into the predictable and well, sloppy - a move which could have been a distinct choice since the main character expresses concern about writing sloppily - and towards the end, the story becomes a little tedious. But, all in all, it was an enjoyable read, the kind of book that makes you feel like you should strive to be a better, stronger person. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Oh my goodness. This book was UNBELIEVABLE! I initially picked it up because of its jaw-dropping concept (conjoined twins) but I fell in love with this book because of the fundamental joy brought forth from the sadness of the imagined situation. An absolutely magnificent novel! ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
“The Girls” glides by like a watercolor dream, finding its poetry in dailiness and the universalities of human desire and connection...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,598,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible