dismiss

Whispers by Dean Koontz

Whispers (original 1980; edition 2001)

by Dean Koontz (Author)

Even after Hilary Thomas killed him, he keeps coming back, hunting her, again and again.
Member:BnTAZ
Title:Whispers
Authors:Dean Koontz (Author)
Info:Berkley (2001), 528 pages

Whispers by Dean Koontz (1980)

English (29)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
I really enjoy Dean Koontz books. This one is ok, but it really doesn't compete with so many of his others. Watchers is amazing., try that one! ( )
  RaggedyMandy | Apr 22, 2020 |
A reread for me. I enjoyed the book at first but, having read this previously, I ended up skimming parts. One thing I’ve noticed when re-reading some of this author’s books is they are very much of their time regarding the violence especially pertaining to women, not that it doesn’t portray women as strong independent characters. Perhaps this was the author’s intention at the time. Sadly, I seem to find some violence a second time around off-putting, and while the plot of this book seems mysteriously enticing, it’s one I resolved early in the read so the end presented few surprises. There are many better novels from Koontz. ( )
1 vote SharonMariaBidwell | Jun 25, 2019 |
Whispers is a tight, psychological thriller where a Hollywood writer and director is attacked by a man in her house. She fends off the first attack with a gun and his second attack with a knife, killing him in the process. But Bruno Frye doesn’t want to stay dead. First, it starts with phone calls where the caller hangs up without speaking, and then it leads to another attack. Hillary, who much like Bruno, has her own childhood issues, starts a relationship with the detective on the case, and they have to delve into the mystery of Bruno Frye.

There was good and bad in this novel. The good: The writing is tight, and there is a good bit of tension in the novel. The story moves at a fast pace and is pretty compelling. I thought the characterization of Hillary and the two detectives in the story was pretty well done. The bad: the character of Bruno Frye is a bit of a mess, and this is where the good characterization ends. This has always been Dean Koontz’s Achilles Heel, creating realistic, believable, life-like villains. In pretty much all of his novels, the villains fall short of the mark. The other bad part is that when the mystery of Bruno is unveiled, it’s an utterly convoluted train-wreck. That part of the novel lacks any level of realism and hurt the novel. On balance, there was more good than bad. If I could give it three and a half stars, I would, but otherwise this rates three stars.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jul 9, 2017 |
Mystery, Thriller ( )
  SidWilliams | Aug 17, 2016 |
3.5 stars

I preferred this one over Watchers, surprisingly.
Sometimes it grew a bit stale but the mystery here was hard to solve. I kept thinking twins, twins, twins, but that kept getting shot down. At the end I was wondering if there was actually going to be a supernatural element involved. The characters weren't as cheesy with their interaction and the ending with the unraveling of the villains motives were fascinating. What abuse! I do have an issue with some of the wrap up though. I get it about the abuse but would have liked to know a little more behind the madness the character got in regard to the vampire resurrection thing and the hatred of the mother. Sure any sane person would have hated the mother, but I felt more details could have been given at the end with that. Ending felt a little cut off because of it. Overall good stuff though, purely a suspense/thriller novel. Now the next Koontz book I read I don't want to be another serial killer book, need a break from that. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koskela, PerttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The forces that affect our lives, the influences that mold and shape us, are often like whispers in a distant room, teasingly indistinct, apprehended only with difficulty.
-Charles Dickens
This book is dedicated to Rio and Battista Locatelli, two very nice peole who deserve the very best.
Tuesday at dawn, Los Angeles trembled. Windows rattled in their frames.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,943,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible