Still I Rise by Maya Angelou

Still I Rise (edition 2001)

by Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou's third poetry collection, a unique celebration of life, consists of rhythms of strength, love, and remembrance, songs of the street, and lyrics of the heart.
Member:Murk187
Title:Still I Rise
Authors:Maya Angelou
Info:Random House (2001), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages

And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou

A collection of beautiful poems read by the author. Angelou has a great speaking voice and enriches the poems with tone, passion, and rhythm. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
Maya Angelou is a fantastic poet. Just reading her poems on the page is like reading the script of a play; you may appreciate it, but you do not understand it. Listening to her read her poetry out loud adds an entire new dimension and power to it, her reading is energetic and stern. When you hear it, you cannot mistake her poetry for that of a typical romantic or political writer. This is something else entirely.

This specific collection didn't hit me universally, some poems I got more out of than others. I can understand how people were drawn to her biographical writings, which probably held onto momentum better than this format. But do not let my rating pull anything away from the accomplishments of one of America's greatest modern writers. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
I enjoyed some of these poems, but didn't resonate with many of them. I'm giving the volume as a whole a 3-star rating, though in many ways I think poetry is too personal to rate properly. Still, overall this is definitely worth reading. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
I've read Maya Angelou before, yet I have never heard her read her work. And whoa... there is something utterly different listening to Maya read. You can listen to the meaning behind each verse being carried by her alliteration and tone. Stunning, powerful poems! ( )
  dchrist | Aug 8, 2019 |
I listened along while reading the poems. The audio was done by Maya Angelou & of course, it is always a pleasure to hear her speak.

There were a few poems that were in the book that wasn't read...Maybe because this book may have been redone after she did the audio...

There were some old favorites...And I, of course, found some new ones. I've always enjoyed her poems & most of the books I have read by her, I loved. I always get some form of wisdom from her..Something I can take with me and use in my own life. I have loved this woman since I was in Junior High/Middle school. I still have quite a few books I need to read through by her and I am looking forward to doing so. I think the hardest book that I will try to read by Mother Maya Angelou is I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings because I know a lot of what she went through growing up. I've seen a large majority (if not all) of the movie...So I have a good idea of what I am getting into when I do go into that book.

It's been a year today since her passing, and I know for me, it's still hard(So I can only imagine how it is for her family who were closer to her). I know, she was a woman of great age & had many years on this earth and she wouldn't want us to still feel the sadness, but sometimes, it still hits. It wasn't planned for me to read this book on the "anniversary" of her passing, but, when I went to look up the exact date, I realized that it was today (May 28, 2014) that she left this earth. I am not saying this to bring myself or anyone else down, but as a remembrance of a woman who touched so many women, men & children/teens. So, maybe today, we can read at least one poem, quote or even a book (start and/or finish) by her to show that we are still thinking of her and to show a love for her that only we, as individuals and as a whole can show her.

Rest In Love & Peace Mother, Aunt, Sister, Friend Maya Angelou. :-) ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,659,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible