Nerilkas Story by Anne Mccaffrey
A deadly epidemic was sweeping across Pern. Nerilka's father refused toshare Fort Hold's bounty with the other Holds. Ashamed of her family anddetermined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies andsneaked off to aid her people. She had no idea that her new path wouldchange the course of her life forever!… (more)
Member:dennymeta
Title:Nerilkas Story
Authors:Anne Mccaffrey
Info:Corgi (1987), Paperback, 191 pages

Nerilka's Story by Anne McCaffrey (1986)

I did like it okay, and it was so short one could hardly complain. Still, it is just Moreta from another point of view, which seems a bit like cheating to me. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
There are so many books about Pern that I have never read all of them and this is one that escaped my notice until now. It is set in the time period when a deadly plague swept through Pern and killed people, dragons and other beasts. Quite a few of both Anne and her son Todd's books have dealt with aspects of this time but it is good to get another view of it.

Nerilka is one of the many daughters of Lord Holder Holocamp of the Fort Hold. While her parents and three of her sisters go off to a Gathering at Ruatha Hold Nerilka is made to stay home. The plague strikes the people at the Gathering and Nerilka's mother and her sisters die. Her father, breaking the quarantine, flies home but sequesters himself in his room issuing orders to Nerilka and her brother Campen. One of his orders is to stop giving medicines to the Healers even though they have ample in their stores. Nerilka, already upset that Holocamp has brought his mistress into the hold, decides to leave and go to the nearby internment camp to help the sick. She is not afraid that she will get sick herself since she was one of the people who got immunized by the vaccine made from people and beasts who had survived the plague. When the internment camp is opened up Nerilka goes off with supplies for other habitations. She ends up in Ruatha where she helps with mass production of the vaccine but she has disguised her identity so she will not be known as a lady. The Lord Holder of Ruatha, Alessan, was married to her best friend Suriana but she died before the plague in a riding accident. It is time for Alessan to marry again and sire children to carry on but he is so depressed by the events, including the death of Moreta whom he loved, that he just wants to die. Nerilka convinces him to live at least long enough to sire children and he agrees marrying her. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jan 5, 2019 |
Not a tremendously complex story, but blessedly free of the issues that have so annoyed me in the rest of the series. Short enough to read in one sitting and actually having a bit of emotional depth earns it three stars, if only by comparison. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
I ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
This was a really quick read but very enjoyable, just like all of Anne McCaffrey's other Pern books. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herder, EdwinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:

Nerilka's story is ancillary  to Moreta: Draonglady of Pern, told from Nerlika's point of view.
I am not a harper, so do not expect the polished tale.
This work is for editions that only include Nerilka's Story.
There is a separate work for those that also include the Coelura.

Pern, eine Weit windgepeitschter Burgen und einsamer Höfe, wird von einer tödlichen Seuche heimgesucht, die auch Lord Tolocamps Frau und einige seiner Kinder hinwegrafft. Nerilka, eine der überlebenden Töchter und erfahren in der Kunde des Heilens, kann es nicht ertragen, daß der Vater sofort eine neue Frau ins Haus nimmt. Trotz der verhängten Quarantäne verläßt Nerilka die elterliche Burg und zieht als Rill die Heilerin durch die Lande. Bis sie nach Ruatha kommt und den Burgherrn Alessan kennenlernt. Als dessen Geliebte, eine Drachenreiterin, tödlich verunglückt, bittet Alessan Nerilka, seine Frau zu werden. Bevor sie sich zwischen Pflicht und Neigung entscheiden kann, erfährt sie ein schreckliches Geheimnis, das ihr Schicksal endgültig besiegelt
    ------------------------------------

A DEADLY EPIDEMIC WAS SWEEPING ACROSS PERN!

Everyone, holder and dragonrider alike, pitched in to help - except Nerilka's father, who refused to share Fort Hold's bounty with the other Holds. So, ashamed of her family and determined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies and sneaked off to aid her people.

Her quest to help wherever she was most needed led her finally to Ruatha Hold, where Lord Alessan was frantically preparing the precious serum needed for mass inoculations against hte dread plague.

Nerilka had long ago abandoned hte hope of marriage and a home of her own. Now she found happiness in being useful and appreciated - first the Healers and then Alessan made very clear that they were grateful for her help.

She had no idea that her new path would change the course of her life forever!
    ----------------------------------

FIRST FLIGHT

Arith executed a little run before he jumped skyward, then his fragile-looking, transparent wings most exhilarating experience I had ever had, and I envied dragonriders anew as Arith's strong wings carried us further aloft.

M'barak must have known how I was feeling, for he turned his head and gave me a wide pleased grin. "Hold on now, Rill, we're going between," he yelled.

Then there was blackness, nothingness, and only the knowledge that riders and dragons experienced the same thing daily with no ill effect kept me from screaming in fear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,658,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible