Nerilkas Story by Anne Mccaffrey
Member:dennymeta
Title:Nerilkas Story
Authors:Anne Mccaffrey
Info:Corgi (1987), Paperback, 191 pages

Nerilka's Story by Anne McCaffrey (1986)

I ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
This was a really quick read but very enjoyable, just like all of Anne McCaffrey's other Pern books. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I reread this book on a whim and for a challenge.

Nerilka is one girl in a large family that is suddenly struck by worldwide tragedy. Ashamed of her father's lack of compassion, selfishness, and hypocrisy in the situation, she leaves her home with the intention of assisting in the recovery efforts of a nearby settlement that has also suffered.

I appreciated how the author told a story through the eyes of a woman who, despite her privileged background, was determined to serve and assist those in dire need. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 11, 2014 |
I did like it okay, and it was so short one could hardly complain. Still, it is just Moreta from another point of view, which seems a bit like cheating to me. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
Sixth Pass ( )
  ogorobez | Apr 6, 2013 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herder, EdwinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:

Nerilka's story is ancillary  to Moreta: Draonglady of Pern, told from Nerlika's point of view.
I am not a harper, so do not expect the polished tale.
This work is for editions that only include Nerilka's Story.
There is a separate work for those that also include the Coelura.

Pern, eine Weit windgepeitschter Burgen und einsamer Höfe, wird von einer tödlichen Seuche heimgesucht, die auch Lord Tolocamps Frau und einige seiner Kinder hinwegrafft. Nerilka, eine der überlebenden Töchter und erfahren in der Kunde des Heilens, kann es nicht ertragen, daß der Vater sofort eine neue Frau ins Haus nimmt. Trotz der verhängten Quarantäne verläßt Nerilka die elterliche Burg und zieht als Rill die Heilerin durch die Lande. Bis sie nach Ruatha kommt und den Burgherrn Alessan kennenlernt. Als dessen Geliebte, eine Drachenreiterin, tödlich verunglückt, bittet Alessan Nerilka, seine Frau zu werden. Bevor sie sich zwischen Pflicht und Neigung entscheiden kann, erfährt sie ein schreckliches Geheimnis, das ihr Schicksal endgültig besiegelt
    ------------------------------------

A DEADLY EPIDEMIC WAS SWEEPING ACROSS PERN!

Everyone, holder and dragonrider alike, pitched in to help - except Nerilka's father, who refused to share Fort Hold's bounty with the other Holds. So, ashamed of her family and determined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies and sneaked off to aid her people.

Her quest to help wherever she was most needed led her finally to Ruatha Hold, where Lord Alessan was frantically preparing the precious serum needed for mass inoculations against hte dread plague.

Nerilka had long ago abandoned hte hope of marriage and a home of her own. Now she found happiness in being useful and appreciated - first the Healers and then Alessan made very clear that they were grateful for her help.

She had no idea that her new path would change the course of her life forever!
    ----------------------------------

FIRST FLIGHT

Arith executed a little run before he jumped skyward, then his fragile-looking, transparent wings most exhilarating experience I had ever had, and I envied dragonriders anew as Arith's strong wings carried us further aloft.

M'barak must have known how I was feeling, for he turned his head and gave me a wide pleased grin. "Hold on now, Rill, we're going between," he yelled.

Then there was blackness, nothingness, and only the knowledge that riders and dragons experienced the same thing daily with no ill effect kept me from screaming in fear.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339495, Mass Market Paperback)

Ashamed of her father's refusal to help the others of Fort Hold, Nerilka helps Lord Alessan prepare a serum to combat a dreaded plague.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

"Everyone, holder and dragonrider alike, pitched in to help except Nerilka's father, who refused to share Fort Hold's bounty with the other Holds. So, ashamed of her family and determined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies and sneaked off to aid her people." -- Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible