Third Down and a War to Go by Terry Frei

Third Down and a War to Go (edition 2007)

by Terry Frei (Author)

18None985,651 (5)None
The 1942 Wisconsin Badgers football team had a host of individual stars, including two-time All-American end Dave Schreiner, fullback Pat Harder, and halfback Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch. Their coach was the stubborn and respected Harry Stuhldreher, best known as the one-time quarterback of Notre Dame's Four Horsemen. In the final-fling atmosphere typical on college campuses as the first year of U.S. involvement in World War II was winding down, the Badgers climbed their way up the rankings and ultimately became one of the greatest college football teams of all time. Stars and benchwarmers alike knew that each game brought them closer to military service. The Badgers scattered into the various branches-and around the world-shortly after the season. Not all were asked to be heroic in battle, but many were, and they answered the challenge. Not all of them returned, and the circumstances of at least one battle death have been shrouded in mystery for six decades.… (more)
Member:ScottFurtak
Title:Third Down and a War to Go
Authors:Terry Frei (Author)
Info:Wisconsin Historical Society Press (2007), Edition: 2, 320 pages

Work Information

Third Down and a War to Go: The All-American 1942 Wisconsin Badgers by Terry Frei

No reviews
I keep picturing the boys who are playing for me as they may be a year from now, battling a Jap or a Nazi with a bayonet. We've always wanted our football players tough. New we want them tougher than ever."
--Wisconsin Coach Harry Stuhldreher, October 1942.
To '42 Badger Bob Rennebohm, whose razor-sharp memory and personal archives were crucial, and whose kindness and dignity I greatly appreciated. I have appointed him the symbolic team captainn of the '42 Badgers who were able to contibute remembrances for this book.
And to my parents, Jerry and Marian Frei.
The B-17 bomber was on fire.
Prologue: As Veterans Day 2000 approached, my father was struggling.
Foreword: When I was nine, my family moved into an old wood frame house on Regent Street in the shadows of Camp Randall stadium, where a generation earlier the brave young athletes of Terry Frei's book had played football for the University of Wisconsin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible