Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea…

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Collector's Library) (original 1870; edition 2011)

by Jules Verne

9,316141320 (3.72)1 / 294
Member:MichaelDennis
Title:Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Collector's Library)
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Collector's Library (2011), Hardcover, 536 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:collectors-library, classics

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (1870)

English (129)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (140)
I loved this story when I was a kid and my rating is based on those memories. I doubt I would rate it lower if I read it again.
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
I can understand some of the criticism surrounding this book. At times there are tedious lists of marine fauna and the latitude stuff is something I just skipped. But it is still a good yarn when it comes down to it and a bit of a classic. ( )
  polarbear123 | Jan 17, 2016 |
M. Aronnaux, a scientist, and two companions end up on board the submarine the Nautilus under the command of the mysterious Captian Nemo. Way too much of the story was devoted to now we're at this latitude, now we're here, no action. Parts of the south poel were totally wrong. I really didn't care about any of the characters. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Book on CD performed by James Frain

Professor Aronnax and his valet Conseil embark on an American frigate in search of a mysterious narwhale that has attacked several ships. Arronax is an oceanographer and uniquely qualified to classify the monster once it is captured/killed. But they, along with the Canadian harpooner Ned Land, are thrown overboard when they confront the beast, and soon discover the truth. The “monster” is actually a sophisticated submarine – the Nautilus. Captain Nemo saves them from the open sea but tells them they may never leave, although they have the full run of the ship and are included in various experiences. From the South Pacific they travel the world, witnessing wonders at the depths of the ocean.

This classic adventure tale was first published in 1870. Verne creates an imaginative and wondrous world; in this and other books, I marvel at what he creates, especially because so many of the things he envisioned actually came true. There are scenes that had me literally on the edge of my seat (the trip beneath the South Pole, the encounters with giant squid, and the hunt through an underwater forest to name three), but there were also long passages that detailed the scientific classifications of the many varieties of underwater life that just about had me nodding off.

Nemo is a marvelous villain – with a seductive genius and a capacity to be charming and welcoming, and yet with a narcissistic bent which makes him rather insufferable. More importantly is his deep-seated hatred of man and all things “earth-bound.” His skewed view of the world and mankind makes him a very dangerous man – to himself and to others. Verne never really explains what drove Nemo to his drastic decision to live solely aboard the Nautilus. I would read a novel that explored the situations that resulted in the man presented here.

James Frain did a fine job narrating the audiobook. There are many passages of scientific data, and he managed to sound excited even about those! I definitely got the sense of awe that Arronax and his companions would have felt at witnessing these things “that no man has seen before.”

As is my habit with audiobooks, I also had a text version handy to check for spellings or unusual phrases. But the text I had did NOT include much of the scientific data that Frain was reading in the audio version. Long passages were simply left out of the text. I’m sure it makes for easier reading, and probably does not detract much from the story or from the central conflict.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Probably my biggest take away from this is that one must always watch out for the cult mentality. It's quite lethal. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |

Wilson, Edward ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Seven Novels by Jules Verne

20,000 leagues under the sea [and] Around the moon by Jules Verne

Journey to the Center of the Earth / Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea / Round the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Mysterious Island, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

The amazing journeys of Jules Verne : five visionary classics by Jules Verne

The Annotated Jules Verne: Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne

Contains

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

The year 1866 was marked by a strange event, an unexplainable occurrence which is undoubtedly still fresh in everyone's memory.
This LT work should be editions containing the complete text of Jules Verne's 1869 novel, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Please do not combine it with any abridgements, adaptations, young readers' versions (see working list, below), pop-up books, Chick-fil-A editions, graphic novels, annotated editions, multi-title compendiums, single volumes of a multi-volume edition, or other, similar works based on the original.
Thank you.

Working list of abridged editions not to be combined with the standard editions - Best Loved Books for Young Children, Children's Classics, Great Illustrated Classics, Treasury of Illustrated Classics, Classics Illustrated, Classic Starts Series, Saddleback Illustrated, Stepping Stone Books, Now Age Classics, Young Collectors, (believe it or not) American Short Stories, Deans Children's Classics, anything by Malvina Vogel, Van Gool Adventure Series, Bring the Classics to Life,

Note:
The 1990 ed. of the Great Illustrated Classics contains the complete text (per L of C), ISBN 0895773473.
Annotated editions of works may include substantially more material than the original work. Thus, annotated editions generally should not be combined with un-annotated editions.

Retells the adventures of a French professor and his two companions as they sail above and below the world's oceans as prisoners on the fabulous electric submarine of the deranged Captain Nemo.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100704, 1400108497

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,233,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible