dismiss

The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, Book 6)…

The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, Book 6) (edition 2009)

by Kim Harrison (Author)

Series: The Hollows (6)

Cincinnati-based bounty hunter Rachel Morgan remains in shock following the unsolved murder of her boyfriend. Planning to solve the case, she accepts a special mission in the spiritual realm courtesy of Elf politician Trent Kalamack while master vampire Rynn Cormel makes his own demands on her.
Member:Letora
Title:The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, Book 6)
Authors:Kim Harrison (Author)
Info:HarperCollins e-books (2009), Edition: Reprint, 515 pages
Collections:Urban Fantasy, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:witches, demons, vampires, pixies, magic, urban fantasy

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: The Outlaw Demon Wails

Someone is summoning Al out of prison. And once they are done with him for the night, they release him to hunt down Rachel. After an explosive reunion in a charm shop where Al nearly kills her, Rachel is stuck hiding on holy ground when the sun goes down. Unless she figures out who is summoning Al, she will either be stuck hiding on holy ground or dead. To protect herself and those she cares about, Rachel is going to have to make a trip to the ever after. And knowing Rachel, her plan is not going to go the way it should.

The sixth book in The Hollows series shows a marked difference in the way Rachel handles herself. She’s realized her faults, both personal and professional, and she is trying to make positive changes. Unfortunately, life likes to kick her while she is down, in the most messed up and magical way possible. Watching Rachel try to overcome her boundaries and forge herself into a more confident and mature person is both rewarding and frightening. The amount of heartbreak and deception she has had to experience to reach this point is beyond what a normal person would be able to endure. But this is Rachel, the fiery redhead that kicks first and asks questions later. She will fight with all she has and then some.

The Outlaw Demon Wails also tackles the subject of loss and how to recover from it. Rachel struggles to come to terms with her loss, and the guilt that accompanies wanting to move on. As her heart struggles to understand what it wants and needs, readers, can connect with the conflicting emotions that rifle through Rachel’s mind. Readers will also see the parallel with Rachel’s mother as she realizes what her mother went through losing her father years ago, and how it broke her.

This is my second read of The Hollows, so while I know what is going to happen, but I still love the setup Kim Harrison has done. The flashbacks that tantalize fans into trying to figure out the puzzle before Rachel can. And the utter desperation I remember feeling, wanting Rachel and Ivy to exact their revenge as soon as possible. And the slow burn as we realized that once again, we have to wait for a resolution.

Seriously, if you haven’t started The Hollows and you love urban fantasy, pick up this series. Rachel may start off as a bit of an airhead, but it just makes her character development all the more satisfying as the series continues. Hands down this will always remain my favorite urban fantasy series. ( )
  Letora | Jun 14, 2020 |
Still very sad about Kisten, and with all the talk about him, made me miss him even more. However, this was probably the best book of the series. I mean I delved right in and read until I passed out and then read until I finished it today. I still don't like the whole idea of Rachel and Ivy and I think they should move on from that. Marshall I think he's an ok guy. But for some reason even through the whole hate/hate relationship Rachel and Trent have I'd still would like to see some sparks fly up there and maybe i'm just morbid and maybe it's just some far fetched fantasy I have for those two. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Another great book in the Rachel Morgan series. I love this series it just keeps getting better and better. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
At long last it seems this series will turn into something readable until the end. This opus was better constructed and Rachel Morgan is less whining and more responsible. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
This book had a lot of things going on. Somehow Al is back, Ceri is pregnant, Rachel's mom is around (and kicking ass!), and Trent wants Rachel to go into the Ever-After to get something for him. Typical of Rachel, she'll do a lot for her friends, including practicing demon magic and making that very dangerous trip to get elven DNA.

I always like Rachel's interactions with Trent. But, then, I like Trent because I understand him and what he's doing. He's trying to preserve an entire species and if he hurts others to do so he considers that an acceptable loss. Rachel is intolerant of him, and I understand her ethics are not his, but she should also look a little closer to home, I think, and wonder why she hates him so and yet excuses others. It's all tied up with his father and her father and when she finds out a tremendous secret in this book about her childhood "treatments" and the origin of witches it gets even worse.

I'm so over this Ivy-Rachel-blood thing I could scream. Both of them need to suck it up and deal. Come to some sort of resolution before you hurt each other irreparably. They try, again, as usual, but I'm left unsatisifed with it. Nonetheless, this book was great fun and set up many things for the future. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
To the guy who knows the more things change, the weirder it gets
I leaned over the glass counter, squinting at the price of the high-grade redwood rods, safe in their airtight glass coffins like Snow White.
UK title: Where Demons Dare

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible