Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of…

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost… (edition 2009)

by Marcus Luttrell (Author)

On a clear night in late June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in northern Afghanistan for the mountainous Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader known to be ensconced in a Taliban stronghold surrounded by a small but heavily armed force. Less then twenty-four hours later, only one of those Navy SEALs remained alive. This is the story of fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle in the mountains that led, ultimately, to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:KristinRobidou2014
Title:Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
Authors:Marcus Luttrell (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

Work Information

Lone Survivor : The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell

A great book about the indomitable spirit. You've got to look past some of the clear propaganda speech, but its well written and absolutely worth reading. Perseverance over all obstacles. ( )
  crystalhotsauce | Dec 30, 2021 |
This was a very engaging account. I really enjoyed it more than I expected I would, considering the subject. It's inspiring, both personally and in terms of being an American. Reading this made me wish I'd put even more effort into my own time spent in the military. ( )
  SGTCat | Feb 25, 2021 |
This book is notable for its lengthy account of SEAL training - not just the infamous "Hell Week", but the preceding "Indoc" phase, and the role-specific training following graduation.

It is also a depressing account of at the war in Afghanistan, viewed through the lens of a single disastrous mission. Strategic ineptitude, tactical blunders, and environmental blindness are constant themes. The battle is described with multiple breaks in the action to blame liberal americans for the debacle. The scale of cognitive dissonance is something to behold. It's a surreal internal conflict between soldiers fighting a war, and the nation they fight for. ( )
  daltonlp | Dec 15, 2020 |
This is the first memoir/bio i read. This is also the very first book i read that's about military. I want to thank these guys for what they did for the people, and our country.

It started out slow, took a while to past first few chapters. Then comes chapter 8, and I was reading it before going to bed. Very bad idea. Couldn't sleep that night, all depressed. I cried ALOT reading this book.

Will definitely read the second one by Marcus Luttrell.

xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
This book is a great look into what its like to become a Navy SEAL and the kind of dedication and determination it takes to attain that status. It's also a harrowing tale of Luttrell's escape from the Taliban and the people who helped him survive. My main complaint: the refrain of politics that runs throughout. I understand this is his story and his views are part of that story. I even understand how his views are almost certainly shaped by his experiences, ones that I cannot hope to comprehend. What I object to is the need for "owning the libs" in every chapter, especially when that involves somewhat misrepresenting the stance 'liberals' were taken when they objected to certain abuses perpetrated during the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars. That said, it was still worth a read. ( )
  Jthierer | Aug 24, 2020 |
Just because Luttrell got his facts wrong, criticized the rules of engagement needlessly, and misunderstands counter-insurgency, that doesn’t mean his memoir is bad art. Misguided definitely, but not necessarily a poor piece of writing.

Except Lone Survivor is a bad piece of writing, and I hope it will be forgotten in twenty years.

Marcus Luttrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robinson, Patricksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316067598, 0316067601, 1600242197, 0316044695

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,236,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible