Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir by Mindy…

Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir (edition 2008)

by Mindy Schneider (Author)

Member:elsebeok
Title:Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir
Authors:Mindy Schneider (Author)
Info:Grove Press (2008), 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:kindle, memoir, humor

Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir by Mindy Schneider

Please read my full review here: http://realbooks4ever.tumblr.com/post/70646461837 ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Nothing profound, but not a bad way to spend a couple of evenings. I picked this up because, duh, it's summer, and while my brief camp experiences were somewhat different, this was a comforting read nonetheless. It's not really a factual memoir, but it feels factual, capturing the bad (lots) and the good (surprisingly prominent also) of summer camp at age 13. ( )
1 vote Knicke | Feb 18, 2011 |
This memoir about the author's experiences at an eight-week camp in the summer of 1974 is not one I would have read had I not won it in a contest, but it was a nice story. The author spends most of her time in the woods bemoaning her unpopularity and chasing boys, which is made more interesting with a thorough sprinkling of amusing anecdotes. While I don't expect this quick little read to appeal to anyone who was never a 13-year-old girl or a camper, it was a pleasant diversion. ( )
  melydia | Oct 28, 2009 |
A light memoir about a young teen's experiences at camp in Maine in the 70's. Not the most well written book ever, it was a quick read with the occasional opportunity to giggle as you remember your own 13 year old experiences. The story began strong, but midway through I found myself a little bored and hoping for it to be over. ( )
  kristy.shannon | Mar 25, 2009 |
We've got a cartload of Mindys.
Saul Rattner, camp director
Quiet, please!
Dedicated to the dining room
I grew up in the 1970's, which is to say I grew up regretting the fact that I hadn't been born about ten years earlier.

Remember those long sultry summer days at camp, the sun setting over the lake as you sang Kumbaya? Well, Mindy Schneider remembers her summer at Camp Kin-A-Hurra in 1974 just a wee bit differently. Not a Happy Camper chronicles a young girl’s adventures at a camp where the sun never shines, the breakfast cereal dates back to the summer of 1922, and many of the counselors speak no English. For eight eye-opening and unforgettable weeks, Mindy and her eccentric band of friends — including Autumn Evening Schwartz, the daughter of hippies who communicates with the dead, and the sleep-dancing, bibliophile Betty Gilbert — keep busy feuding in color wars, failing at sports, and uncovering the camp’s hidden past. As she focuses on landing the perfect boyfriend and longs for her first kiss, Mindy unexpectedly stumbles across something infinitely grander: herself. Hilarious, charming, and glowing with nostalgia, Mindy Schneider’s memoir is a must-read for anyone who’s ever been to summer camp, or wishes they had.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible