Short Trips: Seven Deadly Sins by David…

Short Trips: Seven Deadly Sins

by David Bailey

Other authors: John Binns (Contributor), Rebecca Levene (Contributor), Paul Magrs (Contributor), Jacqueline Rayner (Contributor), Tara Samms (Contributor)2 more, Gareth Wigmore (Contributor), Mark Wright (Contributor)

Series: Doctor Who (Short Trips), Doctor Who: Short Trips (12)

Doctor Who Short Trips is a series of themed short story anthologies of new Doctor Whofiction, featuring the Doctor in all of his first eight incarnations. They feature stories written by some of the leading names in Doctor Who, past and present, including Paul Cornell, Gareth Roberts, Christopher H. Bidmead, and Paul Magrs. In these pages you will find 7 tales of vice, exploring the dark places at the edge of the universe. The Doctor tries to stand against the tide, to bring even a chink of light, of hope, but what good is it when he cannot even save himself from the seven deadly sins?… (more)

one story for each of the first seven Doctors, with linking material featuring the Eighth, and although the stories' themes are linked, they are also different. The least successful was the first, "The Duke’s Folly" by Gareth Wigmore, which seemed to me to have the First Doctor and companions way out of character. "Angel", by 'Tara Samms' [Stephen Cole], with the Third Doctor and Jo, is gloomy but well-written. "Suitors, Inc." by Paul Magrs features the Fourth Doctor, the second Romana, Harry and Sarah and gets very silly perhaps at the expense of plot, but it is fun. Also fun but much better controlled is Rebecca Levene's "Too Rich For My Blood", in which she demonstrates her knowledge of poker (she was working on a book about it at the time this story was written) and also of the Seventh Doctor, Benny and Chris. So all in all, a decent jumping-in point if you want to sample this series. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 11, 2016 |
Seven Deadly Sins is the 12th title in the Short Trips series of Doctor Who anthologies which contain short stories from various authors. The stories in this particular book are all connected with a brief introduction about a showman who has several invited guests each of whom has a particular experience conducted by the showman. There is some indication towards the end that the showman is the Eighth Doctor, but that was pretty obvious from early on. However, it's never made entirely clear who these guests are, where they are or even what is going on.

Each story has the theme of one of the seven sins and a different Doctor, going in order from One right through to Seven, with Eight included in the linking stories. I thought these short stories were in general fairly average, although quite a few of them still left me going 'huh?!' at the end which always annoys me. I rather liked the story Suitors, Inc and the idea of the Erotic DoctorBots, especially if there was a Tenth Doctor version. The 57th was one of the better stories but I still wasn't entirely sure what happened at the end. I think this wasn't as good as The Muses that I read recently, although I did like the linking stories and the general idea a lot better. ( )
  Ganimede | Jun 18, 2010 |

Rayner, JacquelineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Samms, TaraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wigmore, GarethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, MarkContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible