Rock Dreams by Guy Peellaert

Rock Dreams (1974)

by Guy Peellaert, Nik Cohn

Other authors: Michael Herr (Introduction)

Rather than heavy text, "Rock Dreams" is a series of lush illustrations with a short accompanying text, and this (to me) novel approach turns a possibly humdrum book on rock stars into something quite different.

We have a comic on how Paul Anka lost weight and became the teen sensation we know, we have Elvis and Elvis wannabes drawn in the way of "The Last Supper", we have Ray Charles driving a car with his arm around a white woman, we have Jethro Tull looking enough like a child molester for Jethro's lawyers to be interested, and we have a surprising amount of homoerotica and Nazi symbolism (not on the same page though).

At times I'm afraid I'm a bit lost by what point the authors are trying to make but the drawings are lush and would be stuck up around my house if they were posters. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Aug 19, 2015 |

Guy Peellaertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cohn, Nikmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Herr, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Alberta
"Under the Boardwalk" was a record by the Drifters early in the sixties, later revived by the Rolling Stones: a marvellous song about privacy and escape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,741,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible