Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by…

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict (edition 2007)

by Laurie Viera Rigler

Info:Dutton Adult (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Jane Austen etc,
Tags:to-read

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

If you are a self-confessed Jane Austen addict, there are things you should just inherently know.

#1 Women have no rights, no freedom and are often seen as a trophy, baby maker, and house keeper. If you read Jane Austen you would know that. You wouldn't walk into a Jane Austen era household and start throwing fits about feminism no matter how much it's needed. Yes, we know that Lizzie Bennett was a strong willed woman who wanted to marry for love, but she also knew the era's decorum - what a woman did and didn't do, and what a woman could get away with.

#2 You would know that as a woman everything you did was on display for the entire city, country, town, etc. So you wouldn't go traipsing off to the city park by yourself and meet a man under your status no matter how stodgy that would be.

These were my biggest problems with this book. The protagonist just had no clue how to behave in Jane Austen's England. For all her talk about how she was so addicted to Jane Austen novels she had absolutely no clue as to how to act or even speak when she transferred to the Regency England. Stupid, big flaw in a book title Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.

The cool thing about this book is that we get a peek at just how frustrating and dirty it was to live back then. How body odor is the norm as is dirty teeth. How women really had no freedoms at all. That stuff was interesting, the historical stuff. Jane Austen never talked about Lizzie Bennett having to take a shower or use a bed pan or how the doctors would most likely have used leeches to bleed Jane Bennett when she took ill at her beloved's home.

This book is purely brain candy. Something you would read sitting at the pool. Get it from the library. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I know the reviews are mixed on this book, but I really enjoyed it. It was an easy read and I was done in a day and a half. May be would be a good beach read or one to take on a long weekend trip. If you ever get one of those. I found it funny and entertaining, not too deep. ( )
  Sandralb | Oct 28, 2016 |
This book was a total drag. I was hoping for it to be a fun likeness to the movie Lost In Austen. I did not like the main character at all. The bits about Jane Austen and her novels just seemed to be tossed in randomly and not always relevant. Really glad this was a short one because I did not care for it. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
I read this book a year or so ago, loaned by a friend. I thought this book could have made two different books very well, but I didn't understand the point of meshing them together, or the title that went along with it. The meshing didn't make sense and detracted from what was two fairly good romantic tales. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Laurie Viera Riglerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Orlagh, CassidyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till this moment, I never knew myself.
--Jane Austen,
Pride and Prejudice
I dedicate this book to Austen addicts past, present, and future; and most of all, to Jane Austen, whose bit of ivory is an endless source of wisdom and joy for this humble admirer. If there is any justice in the world, Miss Austen, then there is a parallel reality in which that lovely young man from the seaside didn't die young, you lived to write at least six more novels, and the two of you grew happily old together, preferably without children.
Why is it so dark in here?
This is a story of characters changing bodies and lives with Courtney Stone in Jane Mansfield's body. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict is the parallel story of Jane Mansfield in Courtney Stone's body. It is probably best to read this book first.

In this Jane Austen–inspired comedy, love story, and exploration of identity and destiny, a modern LA girl wakes up as an Englishwoman in Austen’s time.

After nursing a broken engagement with Jane Austen novels and Absolut, Courtney Stone wakes up and finds herself not in her Los Angeles bedroom or even in her own body, but inside the bedchamber of a woman in Regency England. Who but an Austen addict like herself could concoct such a fantasy?

Not only is Courtney stuck in another woman’s life, she is forced to pretend she actually is that woman; and despite knowing nothing about her, she manages to fool even the most astute observer. But not even her love of Jane Austen has prepared Courtney for the chamber pots and filthy coaching inns of nineteenth-century England, let alone the realities of being a single woman who must fend off suffocating chaperones, condomless seducers, and marriages of convenience. Enter the enigmatic Mr. Edgeworth, who fills Courtney’s borrowed brain with confusing memories that are clearly not her own.

Try as she might to control her mind and find a way home, Courtney cannot deny that she is becoming this other woman—and being this other woman is not without its advantages: Especially in a looking-glass Austen world. Especially with a suitor who may not turn out to be a familiar species of philanderer after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:10 -0400)

A modern young woman wakes up one morning in the nineteenth-century England, in the bed (not to mention the slim and svelte body) of a girl called Jane Mansfield. At first she thinks this has to be some sort of weird dream, but slowly she becomes used to the absence of toothpaste and fat-free food, and finds herself actually enjoying Jane's life.… (more)

Laurie Viera Rigler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible