Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great…

The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories (original 1993; edition 1993)

by William J. Bennett (Editor)

Member:Jd_redford
Title:The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories
Authors:William J. Bennett (Editor)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1993), Edition: 1, 831 pages

The Book of Virtues by William J. Bennett (1993)

Superb Messages ( )
  Brightman | Jul 21, 2017 |
Nice intriguing stories that help improve character and friendships. There also are poems that are nice and good to read at bedtime. I liked this book because it had really cool stories that I read again and again.I liked these two the most,"The Sword of Damocles" and "The Bell of Atri".I also liked the stories that had to do with the colonial times ( at least I think). ( )
  eli.P. | Oct 22, 2015 |
To Ed Feulner -- A man of virtue for all seasons -- and a good friend in thick and thin
  efeulner | May 2, 2014 |
(6 hours) I bought the cassett version at a thrift store and it was the edited version. This book was extremely enteraining. Bennett wants to communicate the value of positive character traits from real people or famous tales. He includes character trait examples from an assortment of writings which spans everyone from Asoep to Babe Ruth. This book is a rich mine of moral literacy which will encourage and inspire anyone no matter what faith you adherre to. I now want the full version. The variety of narrators adds to the colorful readings. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Mar 28, 2014 |
All Bennett proved is that he can compile good stories than he didn't write but liked. And then he makes a lot of money from it. No original thinking here and shouldn't original thinking be one of the highest virtues? ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
You know that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken. ... Shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up? We cannot. ... Anything received into the mind at that age is likely to become indelible and unalterable; and therefore it is most important that the tales which the young first hear should be models of virtuous thoughts. ... Then will our youth dwell in a land of health, amid fair sights and sounds, and receive the good in everything; and beauty, the effluence of fair works, shall flow into the eye and ear, like a health-giving breeze from a purer region, and insensibly draw the soul from the earliest years into likeness and sympathy with the beauty of reason. There can be no nobler training than that. (Plato's "Republic")
To the families of America from my family: Bill, Elayne, John and Joseph Bennett
This book is intended to aid in the time-honored task of the moral education of the young.

Responsibility. Courage. Compassion. Honesty. Friendship. Persistence. Faith. Everyone recognizes these traits as essentials of good character. In order for our children to develop such traits, we have to offer them examples of good and bad, right and wrong. And the best places to find them are in great works of literature and exemplary stories from history.

William J. Bennett has collected hundreds of stories in The Book of Virtues, an instructive and inspiring anthology that will help children understand and develop character -- and help adults teach them. From the Bible to American history, from Greek mythology to English poetry, from fairy tales to modern fiction, these stories are a rich mine of moral literacy, a reliable moral reference point that will help anchor our children and ourselves in our culture, our history, and our traditions -- the sources of the ideals by which we wish to live our lives. Complete with instructive introductions and notes, The Book of Virtues is a book the whole family can read and enjoy -- and learn from -- together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

Well-known works including fables, folklore, fiction, drama, and more, by such authors as Aesop, Dickens, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, and Baldwin, are presented to teach virtues, including compassion, courage, honesty, friendship, and faith.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,509,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible