The Salamander Spell (2007)

by E. D. Baker

Thirteen-year-old Grassina vies with her older sister, Chartreuse, to see who will inherit the family's talent for magic and become the Green Witch, while each ponders which prince will be at her side during her "happily ever after."

Darling doodlebug! so funny! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Even fluffier than Emma's stories. Part of it is - this is Grassina and Chartreuse's story, and how Olivene was hit by the curse. And since, if you've read Emma's books, you already know not only this story (though not all the details) but how it eventually comes out - it's kind of...predetermined. Some of the details are cute, like Grassina liking the swamp as much as Emma does (and for some of the same reasons), or how she and Haywood met (and why she's so sappy in love with him). Some are annoying - young Chartreuse is very much like the girl that got the original curse, in her treatment of her sister and her suitors. But mostly it's rather dull, and therefore a very quick read. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 5, 2018 |
Great to learn the backstory of Grassina, Chartreuse, Olivine, Hayward, et al. I was a little frustrated that there's still a gap in the history of Greater Greensward, and Chartreuse's character is a bit underdeveloped, but the series still charms and I'm planning to read every entry as fast as my library buys them. At the same time, I admit I'm going to want something meatier pretty soon. After all, I'm not 10 years old! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Grassina is expected to marry a prince, but her family encounters many troubles along the way. Her mother becomes cursed and turned into a hag and loses her Green Witch Title and is no longer able to protect her town. Grassina hears the werewolves are heading to town and it is up to Grassina to help her family and save the town.

This is a good prequel to the Frog Princess stories and it gives the characters more depth than the Frog Princess tells us.

The students can discuss the things that Grassina can do to help the town and what she can do to help her mother. They can draw their conclusions to the next book or what they feel will heppen next.
  tterry6901 | Oct 31, 2010 |
I really got into this one- Grassina's backstory was very interesting. The only downside was knowing what's going to happen with her relationship with Haywood. It also gave a lot of perspective on Chartreuse. ( )
  the1butterfly | Aug 30, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to Ellie for being my first reader; to Kimmy, Nate, Emiko, Sophie, and Andy for their love and support; to Victoria for her insight; and to all my wonderful fans for being so encouraging.
Like everyone else, Grassina knew exactly how important the Green Witch was to Greater Greensward.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,162,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible