Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Before I Die (2007)

by Jenny Downham

2,0281344,965 (3.81)1 / 62

English (121)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (134)
I really enjoyed this book. Tessa felt so real to me and I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to give her a huge hug or comfort her. I was really glad this wasn't one of those fluffy stories where the person is really sick and by the end of the novel you learn they are okay. It was nice to get to know Tessa through her journey to her final days. Downham has a way of making Tessa's story relatable to teens even if we will never suffer from the same illness or fate as Tessa. Even though the topic is a bit on the sad side, it's a nice read and makes you think for a little while. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
Wow. I'm speechless. Like, seriously. ( )
  Swibells | Nov 28, 2017 |
This is a book about a girl with terminal cancer, working her way through a list of things she wants to do before she dies. It's a very honest book - Tessa is not always very likable, and the things she does are not always wise (casual sex, shop lifting etc) - and it's not a book with a comforting ending, it ends at the point of Tessa's death. But it is a comforting story of love being worthwhile even in the face of death, and yes, it did leave me weepy. ( )
  atreic | Jul 10, 2017 |
it was good in the beginning. then i got bored and skimmed through it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
I have been reading this for the past 2 days and have not been able to put it down. I knew it was going to be sad and morbid, but man was it so much more. It is definitely in my top 5. What a great book. What a great love story. This will be a re-read soon:) ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |

Jenny Downhamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parry, CharlotteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

For Louis and Archie, with love
I wish I had a boyfriend.

16-vuotias Tessa sairastaa parantumatonta leukemiaa. Mutta hän ei aio jäädä sänkyyn odottelemaan kuolemaa vaan tekee listan asioista, jotka haluaa vielä kokea. Hän tahtoo menettää neitsyytensä, rikkoa lakia, tulla kuuluisaksi ja saattaa eronneet vanhempansa takaisin yhteen.Kun kuvioihin ilmestyy naapurinpoika Adam, Tessa pääsee kokemaan asioita, joista ei olisi koskaan osannut haaveillakaan. Vaikka sairaus syö päivä päivältä Tessan voimia, viime kuukausinaan hän tuntee olevansa vahvemmin elossa kuin koskaan ennen.

Tessa has just months to live. Fighting back against hospital visits, endless tests, drugs with excruciating side-effects, Tessa compiles a list. It’s her To Do Before I Die list. And number one is Sex. Released from the constraints of ‘normal’ life, Tessa tastes new experiences to make her feel alive while her failing body struggles to keep up. Tessa’s feelings, her relationships with her father and brother, her estranged mother, her best friend, and her new boyfriend, all are painfully crystallised in the precious weeks before Tessa’s time finally runs out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:56 -0400)

A terminally ill teenaged girl makes and carries out a list of things to do before she dies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible