The convict, and other stories by James Lee…

The convict, and other stories (edition 1995)

by James Lee Burke

Member:Helenliz
Title:The convict, and other stories
Authors:James Lee Burke
Info:London : Orion, 1995.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Audio, Read, 2018

The Convict and Other Stories by James Lee Burke

When I picked this up, I thought it wouldn't be my thing, but while the stories were outside my experience, they were all good in some way, with one that was outstanding.
These are set, for the most part, in what I think of as backwater America, it feels like they were mostly in the South, as the racial tension seems to reflect that region (I may be wrong there, but that's the impression). If there is a common theme, it is war, with the various characters being returned from war, at war or caught up in the the middle of a war that's not theirs. They are all flawed in some way, or trying to manage in a flawed world. And few of these stories end happily, but I don't recall the world being a fairy tale.
The second to last story, set in Guatamala was the one that really got to me, the world weary journalist who still feels it to have been his fault tugs at the heart strings.

I know it is a small thing, but the way that the audio was presented was really helpful. It was 1 CD with one story and 4 CD each with 2 stories. No having to change CD mid story, which gets really annoying It is only a small thing, but, you know, the small things make all the difference. ( )
  Helenliz | Jun 14, 2018 |
The first story in the collection deals with prejudice and is entitled "Uncle Sidney and the Mexicans." It concerns Hack, who picks crops during the summer. He is intrigued by, and wants to date, Juanita, a Mexican girl working with them. Hack invites her out, much to the consternation of the local hoodlums and the white religious establishment personified by preacher Willis, who owns the fields they work on. A cross is burned on Uncle Sidney's lawn where Hack is staying. Uncle Sidney is not what you would call a liberal-minded man, but he takes matters into his own hands and begins to compile a list of "genuine sons of bitches and possible sons of bitches." Then he loads the charred cross on the back of his truck and drives up to each suspected participant, offering to return the cross to its rightful owner. A marvelously funny yet tragic scene. The results are awesome. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
these are literally delicious prose gems and earn all five hot whikte stars. There was a point at the endikng of one of them I yelled out to my empty house YES! TISIS THE REAL STUFF! THIS IS COMMUNICATING. THIS IS ENTERING MYMIND AND ME WANTING YOU TO STAY THERE.THIS IS MAKING ME THINK, BUT NOT JUST THINK, BUT THINK BEYOND THINKING! There is a sujggested study guide in the back for those wanting to "teach" creative writing. (and njo, darlink, it cannot be taught). Take my word for it, if you want to begin enjoying burke, this is the way to begin. ( )
  andyray | Oct 3, 2011 |
not very interesting short stories. my brother really likes burke so every once in a while i try him. the novels are ok. maybe he talks about FEELINGS a little too often. ( )
  mahallett |
From review of contents posted to Amazon's various records for this Work, there appears to be no difference between editions of The Convict and Other Stories and those titled The Convict: A Novel (ISBN 0786881437). Accordingly, they are combined. If you have better information, please improve LT's record for this Work. Thank you.

James Lee Burke is renowned for his lush, suspense-charged portrayals of the Deep South -- the people, the crime, the hope and despair infused in the bayou landscape. This stunning anthology takes us back to where Burke's heart and soul beat -- the steamy, seamy Gulf Coast -- in complex and fascinating tales that crackle with violence and menace, meshing his flair for gripping storytelling with his urbane writing style.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,537,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible