A River Called Time

by Mia Couto

Mariano is summoned back to his home village to attend his grandfather's funeral. But when he arrives, he discovers two things: firstly, that he has been picked by his grandfather to take over the running of the family's affairs, secondly, that his grandfather has not died completely, but is in that frontier space between life & death.… (more)

English (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (2)
I suspect this book may have lost something in the translation
(this is no disparagement of the translator, more to do with the vagaries of any language and its history). It was a great story - about a young man returning to the island where he was born for his grandfather's funeral. The author has used a semi-supernatural element to explain away a medical mystery. Via this dual device, he allows the main protagonists (grandson and grandfather) to reveal the hidden secrets of the whole family. The island is beautifully evoked and there are some profound insights expressed. I just couldn't 'get with it' somehow however. As I say, I suspect his was to do with meaning being lost in translation and my own inablity to cross the culture barrier. Having said this, I am really glad I finished thi book. I will seek out this author again. ( )
  Makereta | Oct 30, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,366,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible