Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler:…

Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Wade Rouse

In this memoir showcasing the ugly side of the affluent mothers of the pseudonymous Tate Academy, among the country's most prestigious prep schools, Rouse, the school's director of public relations, explains that his job is that of the Mommy Handler keeping the families and benefactors of the institution happy.… (more)
Member:GirlsSentAway
Title:Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
Authors:Wade Rouse
Info:Three Rivers Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages

Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir by Wade Rouse (2007)

I read an essay by Rouse on-line that was hysterical, this book.... not so much. Too many bad metaphors. ( )
  InDreamsAwake | Apr 5, 2013 |
I thought this would be a guilty pleasure, a fun portrait of the rich women who make the lives of the little people miserable. Instead, or actually in addition to that, I found a well-written memoir. Rouse was a closeted gay man working at an exclusive prep school at the start of the book. The journey he takes is memorable. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I have to confess to a weakness for school-based novels so I probably enjoyed this more than I should have. On the other hand, the writing was good enough to keep me interested. I also believe the story was probably based on real life; nothing that happened hasn't already happened in real life. Private schools, helicopter parents, and scheming to attain Ivy League acceptances are all that's important to a certain class of people. Interesting, quick reading. ( )
  kageeh | Dec 25, 2011 |
Personally, I really enjoyed this book. Wade Rouse is a hilarious author, and he writes about a time in his life where he was doing something that he was great at (PR at a Prep School) by sacrificing one very important thing (his dignity). I've seen mothers like this, and I thought it was a very honest and entertaining portrayal. Luckily for him, it seems like this was his big turning point that led him to his next experience in life, moving to the country with his partner (At Least in the City Someone Would Hear me Scream). Can't wait for more books by this author. ( )
  TBRetc | Jul 29, 2011 |
This book starts out deliciously catty and entertaining. Every few pages I had to share bits and pieces with my husband, to underscore why I'd made the right choice in not sending our kids to an elitist institution. I wanted to relish this book, but after a while, the author's passive aggressive doormat persona just grew tiresome. ( )
  smbmom | Jun 1, 2009 |

Wade Rouseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dong, LaurenDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fotheringham, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaffney, EvanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am getting to know the rich."

"I think you'll find the only difference between the rich and other people is that the rich have more money."

-- Mary Colum's response to Ernest Hemingway
For Gary, my muse --

I promise 'the dream' will get easier
To be perfectly transparent from the start, a personal disclosure: I highlight my hair. (Author's note)
Deep cleansing breath iiiiinnnn . . .

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,995,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible