Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie

Queen of Camelot (1994)

by Nancy McKenzie

Series: Queen of Camelot (omnibus)

Return to a time of legend--the days of Guinevere and Arthur and the glory that was to become Camelot On the night of Guinevere's birth, a wise woman declares a prophecy of doom for the child: She will be gwenhwyfar, the white shadow, destined to betray her king, and be herself betrayed. Years pass, and Guinevere becomes a great beauty, riding free across Northern Wales on her beloved horse. She is entranced by the tales of the valorous Arthur, a courageous warrior who seems to Guinevere no mere man, but a legend. Then she finds herself betrothed to that same famous king, a hero who commands her willing devotion. Just as his knights and all his subjects, she falls under Arthur's spell. At the side of King Arthur, Guinevere reigns strong and true. Yet she soon learns how the dark prophecy will reveal itself. She is unable to conceive. Arthur's only true heir is Mordred, offspring of a cursed encounter with the witch Morgause. Now Guinevere must make a fateful choice: She decides to raise Mordred, teaching him to be a ruler and to honor Camelot. She will love him like a mother. Mordred will be her greatest joy-and the key to her ultimate downfall. "Guinevere comes alive--a strong, resourceful, and compassionate woman, accessible to modern folk . . . The Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot triangle comes alive as well--believable, poignant, and bearing the seeds of tragedy."--Katherine Kurtz… (more)
Member:timjdarling2
Title:Queen of Camelot
Authors:Nancy McKenzie
Info:Publisher Unknown

Work Information

Queen of Camelot by Nancy Mckenzie (1994)

The King Arthur story told from Guinevere perspective. It is a good read. ( )
  Baochuan | Jan 12, 2018 |
One of my favorite books and a beautiful retelling of the King Arthur story. ( )
  SaraNoH | Feb 9, 2016 |
Edit 4/10/2014: In my first review of this book in 2011, I noted that they left out the epilogue that appears in the The High Queen. However, upon reading this book (again) this year (love it so much!), I realized that what they did with the epilogue that seemed to be missing was they turned it into a prologue when they put The Child Queen and The High Queen together into this set. So, I was wrong that it wasn't included at all (I must have somehow skipped the prologue the first time I read this as a set??), it's just that in the The High Queen it is an epilogue rather than a prologue as it is in Queen of Camelot. Honestly, I am not sure why they did this because I don't WANT to know the outcome before reading this book, so I would recommend skipping the prologue of Queen of Camelot and instead reading it as an epilogue once you have finished the book, as was originally intended when the books were first published. Also, note that I have put it up to five stars since the information wasn't missing, it was just in a different area.

-------------------
Below is my original review:

I have essentially already reviewed this book in my reviews for "The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur" and "High Queen," giving them both five stars. They are two of my favorite books from childhood.

However, I felt compelled after reading this compilation to note that they left the epilogue that appears in the original printed version of "High Queen" out of this compilation.

As I finished the Kindle version of "Queen of Camelot," something nagged at me. I could have sworn I remembered more to the story. Indeed, I checked my beloved printed copy of "High Queen," and there was a dozen-page epilogue that they left out. I have no idea why they would do this, because it rounds out the story and closes several loops. I bought the printed version of this compilation and it arrived today and the epilogue is also missing from the printed version.

Thus, I had to give this version of the book only four stars because, I'm sorry, the ending is nothing without the epilogue, which they thoughtlessly left out. If you can, find a copy of the original version of "High Queen" in order to read the epilogue. ( )
  wordcauldron | Oct 3, 2011 |
Ahhhh this book was wonderful! It swept me away to Camelot!! It made for me a plausible relationship between Arthur, Gwen, and Lancelot! And a reasonable explanation for Mordred!!! Thank you Nancy MCkenzie!! MUCH MUCH better than the Mists of Avalon!!! I LOVE Arthur in this book! My emotions were fully involved in this book with all the main characters! I didn't want it to end, which is why I am now reading Grail Prince! ( )
1 vote lannabrooke13 | Feb 2, 2010 |
This tells the Arthurian myths from the perspective of Guinevere which is a new take for me. It was very compelling and well written. Lancelot says "strewth" at the end which kind of ruins it a little though!

In this version Guinevere never sleeps with Lancelot and Mordred was never evil. Many other versions also put Guinevere as a devout christian, which is left out of this version as well. About halfway through I felt like the whole tale had been told and I was wondering what was left to say for the last 400 pages. It was worth sticking with though.

It is firmly based on Mary Wesley's Merlin trilogy, which it sadly does not better. ( )
  Rhinoa | Aug 21, 2007 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,377,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible