One Less Fish by Kim Michelle Toft

One Less Fish (1997)

by Kim Michelle Toft, Allan Sheather

Twelve angelfish are in the Great Barrier Reef, they think they are in heaven, but a diver comes along and takes one. But what happens next is heartbreaking. The fish keep dying one by one due to the harm done to their ecosystem. At the end they are all gone and the author takes advantage of this to teach ways of preserving the ecosystem.

This book could be used across the curriculum. It works for science and the sustainability of an ecosystem and the organisms living there. It also introduces the concept of early subtraction. One could read this book aloud and have students be involved in counting the fish. It could also be used to help build an ecosystem for a classroom.

Informational Nonfiction
Reading Level: 3.3
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
Summary: A book of fish of course but with an informational twist of #'s to go along with each page consisting of the different number of fish counting down from 12. The book starts with 12 fish working its way down to none. One by one a fish is taken away by a diver or a hook or a net, until there is none left. Fish that die one by one may soon become none.

Personal Reaction: This book is a little underneath my skill level of math but it is a great book of colorful fish and numbers. It is a good book to read to a child who is just starting to learn to count.

Classroom Extension: Go on a field trip to a fish hatchery at the refuge and learn more about the fish in our area and how we could save them.
  estep13 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary:
One less fish i a counting backwards from ten kind of book with the added benifet of things that happen in the ocean that our killing our fish and what we can do to protect them.
Persoal Reaction:
I thought it was a cute book to use to learn counting backwoards and also to maybe do a lesson on recycling and what we can do to help our planet.
Classroom Extensions:
1. Have a recylce day were we clean out our desks and clean up around the school and recycle what we can recycle.
2. Do a lesson were we count backwords and subtract one from different numbers to see what we come up with.
  dareangilland | Nov 16, 2013 |
Summary:
One less fish is a great book. It has so many wonderful aspects that could help greatly in a classroom. This book is about how our reefs are being destroyed and what steps can be taken to fix this problem.

Personal Reaction:
With the poem and the information separated, it makes it fun for children to read while not even knowing that they are learning. I think this is a great book that shows the results to our actions.

Classroom Extension:
1) We could each, or in groups, pick one of the twelve types of fish and research it. We could then write papers or tell the class about that fish.
2) We could each pick a fish and mold or make paper machete masks to look like the fish we picked out.
3) We could each take a topic from the book such as spearfishing or feeding fish and talk about the dangers that it would cause to fish.
4) We could paint empty reefs and then put Velcro in different spots. Then make fish and put Velcro on the backs of them so they could be taken off. Then read the book taking the fish off as we read.
5) We could look at the poem and make our own poetry based off of the same styling.
6) We could look at the dark vocab words in the book and talk about what they mean. Then use them in a sentence.
7) We could look at the timeline it lays out and do more research to mask timelines for reef protection.
8) We could study the Great Barrier Reef and look at how they are trying to protect it. ( )
  amandacope | Nov 5, 2013 |
One Less Fish by Kim Michelle Toft and Allan Sheather is a great book because it teaches students pre-subtraction skills by taking away one fish at a time on each page. It also has beautiful pictures of coral reef fish. The book teaches students pre-subtraction and subtraction skills starting at twelve and going down to zero. Also they teach kids about marine biology, ecology, and the eco system. The book tells students that pollution will kill the fish and there will be no more. One of the activities that you could do with this book is have students pretend to be fish and take one student away each time. This same activity could be modeled with plastic fish as the book is read. This book could be used as an extension into science activities because of the ecology and environmental focus. I will defiantly recommend this book to teachers to read to their students because it teaches the students in a fun and interesting way to understand subtraction. I will defiantly read this book to my students because I want to make learning fun, focus on subtraction skills, and teach the students how to protect our world. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Sep 6, 2012 |

Kim Michelle Toftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sheather, Allanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Tropical fish shimmer across the pages as this cautionary tale counts down from 12 to zero warning of threats to a fragile ecosystem. One by one fish disappear--where have they gone? Will the fish come back? Set in Australia's Great Barrier Reef, "one less fish" offers straightforward suggestions for preserving underwater environments and shows how to keep this countdown from coming true. Full color .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

Counting down from twelve to zero, the reader learns about some of the fish found on the Great Barrier Reef and the threats to their continued existence.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,822,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible