The Big Bamboo by Tim Dorsey

The Big Bamboo (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Tim Dorsey

Series: Serge Storms (8)

Serge and sidekick Coleman head out west to take on Hollywood bigwigs and L.A. lowlifes in Dorsey's most outrageous novel yet. Before Tinseltown knows what's hit it, Serge has made an unforgettable foray to the Playboy Mansion and come up against Japanese Yakuza and a host of wacky characters.
Member:RJD61
Title:The Big Bamboo
Authors:Tim Dorsey
Info:Harper (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 381 pages

The Big Bamboo by Tim Dorsey (2006)

Serge and Coleman go to Hollywood
  ritaer | Jul 22, 2021 |
Kindle (LFPL)
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
Like Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey has created some of the quirkiest, most absurd and funniest characters in book history. Like Hiaasen, Dorsey's writing is hilarious. Unlike Hiaasen, however, I think this one story is plenty enough for me. The book was like someone with ADHD on speed. It moved like lightning and never slowed down. Ever. Serge Storms is exhausting and I do not need to go any further. Honestly, the only reason I finished this book is that George K. Wilson is such an epic narrator. His flawless narration was awesome. I wonder if he reads any Hiaasen. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Jan 3, 2018 |
One of the very few books that made me laugh out loud. Probably because I listened to it and the reader was fantastic. ( )
  andsoitgoes | May 4, 2012 |
I think this is the weakest of this series so far, largely because it strays from Florida. California, especially Hollywood, is understood to be full of crazy people, but part of the charm of these books is the way Dorsey pulls real Florida characters and scenes and spins their internal craziness out into the "real world." I also felt that the plot depended way too much on Serge moving toward a single goal for way, way too long. He has the general attention span of a gnat, and while he does show some of his usual ping-pong behavior here, it is all while participating in a complicated interaction with lots of characters. While there is no doubt that Serge is smart enough and creative enough to pull this off, he would also change his mind and start an equally complex scheme to take over the world sun screen market after about four hours.

That said, and even that much of the plot isn't obvious until the last few pages of the novel, it's a wild, fun ride, and Serge is a homicidal hoot. ( )
  teckelvik | Apr 12, 2009 |

Tim Dorseyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, George K.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

No one goes Hollywood--they were that way before they came here. Hollywood just exposed it.

--Ronald Reagan
For Lawrence McConnell
You think this is a game?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,190,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible