A Child's Life and Other Stories by Phoebe…

A Child's Life and Other Stories (edition 2000)

by Phoebe Gloeckner (Author)

Phoebe Gloeckner's first book collects her highly praised autobiographical accounts of a teenage girl's loss of innocence through sex, drugs, rape, and AIDS. This edition includes eight pages of new material. Long respected as one of the finest and most original of today's underground comics artists, Gloeckner shows both technical artistry and tremendous range--from her sly, lurid, and brilliantly colored posters for rock groups to her textbook-quality medical illustrations; from her sharp naturalistic juxtapositions for The Atrocity Exhibition (J.G. Ballard) to the signature comics for which she is best known. Pages include both black and white and color comics, some that were published before in obscure comic books, and some of her classics in addition to new stories. In detailed, nuanced panels, these strips depict the isolation, horror, and disappointment--but also the revolutionary, transformative power--of young women trapped in circumstances ringed with drugs and sexual abuse. Gloeckner continues as a major literary and visual artist.… (more)
Member:joneshiro
Title:A Child's Life and Other Stories
Authors:Phoebe Gloeckner (Author)
Info:Frog Books (2000), Edition: Revised, 152 pages

A Child's Life and Other Stories by Phoebe Gloeckner (Author)

This was a very difficult read for me personally, as the material with which it engages is painful, raw and quite graphic; but in all it is a masterful, brutally honest memoir of trauma. ( )
  milkyfangs | Apr 25, 2014 |
excellent! ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
To put it bluntly, A Child's Life is a visual assault that needs to happen. When there are news reports of sexual abuse, rape, incest, drugs either on television or the radio we viewers are shielded from what that really means. We allow our imaginations to blunt the sharp edges of reality. We cringe, but we don't go there with the truth. Gloeckner doesn't allow this. You don't have permission to soften this horrific reality. As a graphic novel the pictures tell the stories of an abused childhood better than any words in a novel. In a word, it was painful and when I finished I had words of my own; words like harsh, gritty, shocking, tragic yet truthful rang in my ears. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Apr 28, 2011 |

Gloeckner, PhoebeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crumb, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible