The Electric Church (2007)

by Jeff Somers

Series: Avery Cates (1)

Time is your curse. Lack of time. Everything requires time, and you have so little. This leads me to the fundamental question the Electric Church poses: How can you be saved when you have no time?Avery Cates is a very bad man. Some might call him a criminal. He might even be a killer-for the right price. But right now, Avery Cates is scared. He's up against the Monks-cyborgs with human brains, enhanced robotic bodies, and a small arsenal of advanced weaponry. Their mission is to convert anyone and everyone to the Electric Church. But there is just one snag: Conversion means death.… (more)

The Electric Church could easliy be dismissed as a formulaic cyberpunk pulp novel. It's a relatively short read - it part of a sequence - it's not doing anthing special.

Except that it is extremely will written. I approched this expecting to have to ignore some cringe-worthy dialogue or preposterous plot twists. The plotting is tight, believable and really engaging. The main charcter - Cates - is likeable and witty and the supporting cast is strong and interesting.

For a shorter novel - the scope is quite broad and it looks like the next on the sequence - rather then just being more of the same - really moves the world and characters forward. There isn't a huge amount of worldbuilding - certainly not the level I am usd to in a hefty space opera a la Alistair Reynolds but that works well - keeping the atmiosphere gritty and dark and keeping the reader grounded in the plot without distraction of understanding new technology or geography or social strata.

A thoroughly enjoyable and extremely well contructed novel with a dimension that lifts it above the standard pulp sci fi fayre - looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  MattCotton | Dec 4, 2020 |
I really had to drag myself through the book. A pity because the book does have some strengths and positives to it. On the positive side, the dystopia it describes is actually pretty good. The concept of the Electric Church and the monks is definitely a pretty good, original idea. But that is about where it stops for me. I could go on about the cyberpunk and the noir, but other reviewers have done that in much better detail. Yes, those elements are present, and they are elements I have enjoyed in my science fiction in other selections. What got me was the somewhat plain prose, and the pace was just not there. It did not really seem engaging to me at least. Maybe there is one trope or stereotype too many. Or maybe not enough world building, too much of the usual hero going after the big bad guy. All I know is the concept seemed good, but the execution seemed lacking. The book was ok, but it was not great. It is first in a series, but I don't think I will be following the series. That it took me two months to get through it, when I often finish novels in much less time, was definitely a sign this was not a good book for me. Stuff like this I usually zip through it. This just did not really grab me.

I hear there is a movie coming out. Maybe the movie will be better than the book, though not holding my breath on that. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
In his debut novel, The Electric Church, Jeff Somers attempts to create a 21st century cyberpunk novel. His vision of the not-so-distant future, managed by the fascist System of Federated Nations and their powerful police, exists in economic chaos, spawning rampant poverty and a vibrant criminal element. Avery Cates, a gunner, thrives within this environment, until he accidentally kills a cop and attracts the attention of the Electric Church and its mysterious Monks, cyborgs with human brains.

Cyberpunk stereotypes abound with pop-culture jargon, computer-human interaction, near-future technology, and unsavory characters in an all-too-familiar tableau. Through most of the book I found myself one step ahead of our protagonist. Somers, clearly a gifted craftsman, writes in a clean, sharp style rooted firmly within the Chandler school but one that is utterly forgettable once the book is closed. His obvious talents intrigue and would work best in a less-formulaic story. Unfortunately, his next book will be a sequel to The Electric Church.

(The review abridged from my version in The Austin Chronicle, October 5, 2007.)
Link: [http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/review?oid=oid:546562] ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
Interesting, action-packed story with an excellent twist at the end. The world portrayed in this book is the most depressing/dark/hopeless dystopian society I have ever read about. Looking forward to starting the next book in the series! ( )
  dewbertb | Feb 16, 2016 |
Book one of two. This is a great read for those into the dark visions of humanities future, with some humor thrown in. Think the world of Blade Runner with a protagonist who is a combination of Bruce Willis and Mickey Roarke. Good action throughout with a decent plot line, coupled with some interesting visions of the future of technology. All in all an enjoyable read.
  DaveCapp | Oct 22, 2014 |

Jeff Somersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"You screwed up, Mr. Cates."
Let me show you an endless trail of sunsets.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316021725, 0316053937

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316021725, 0316053937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,066,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible