Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author…

Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author of Little Women (original 1933; edition 1995)

by Cornelia Meigs (Author)

Presents the life of Louisa May Alcott, who was able through the success of her writings to achieve one thing that was very important to her--to be able to take care of all her family.
Member:RachaelNewman
Title:Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author of Little Women
Authors:Cornelia Meigs (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (1995), 256 pages

Work Information

Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author of Little Women by Cornelia Meigs (1933)

This books tells the life story of Louisa May Alcott in a very descriptive, sentimental narrative. Most of the book focused on LMA's childhood, family hardship, and struggle for fame as a young writer. Her writing of "Little Women" and her success and fame after "Little Women" was published were covered only in the last two chapters. I appreciated the information about LMA's life, but would have preferred a book not as fluffy, with fewer flowery descriptions. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
I wish I had read this when I was younger. It's a bit sanitized for my adult mind. Nevertheless, as a long-time fan of Little Women and an admirer of Louisa May Alcott, it was a pleasure to read. I enjoyed seeing which parts of one of my favorite books stemmed from real life. I also learned some interesting facts about Ms. Alcott which only served to increase my admiration.

If you have a lover of Little Women in your home, this would be a great book for them. Especially if you're trying to encourage a little reader to branch out into non-fiction. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 19, 2021 |
Amazing read, really enjoyed this book ( )
  Grandy | Aug 15, 2016 |
Apparently this biography won a Newbery medal, so perhaps I'm a bit of a philistine.. but I didn't find this particularly engaging. I am very interested in the life of Louisa M Alcott, and did find it interesting to see how it was mirrored, in many ways, by her best-known novel for girls, 'Little Women'. But although the research was evidently extensive, in a pre-internet era, and her lifeline and circumstances portrayed thoroughly, I found it dry - too full of description and facts, with little to engage my interest.

Perhaps there was too little source material, or perhaps the author simply wanted to outline Alcott's life in this way; evidently it was considered an excellent work by those who award medals. But despite it being a relatively easy read, I found it hard going in places, and difficult to concentrate. I rapidly lost track of all the many locations where the family lived, and most of the family friends, too.

Still, worth perusing for anyone interested in this writer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
little women, jo march, alcott
  aidenella | Sep 7, 2015 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Profiles the life of the noted nineteenth-century writer, detailing her early, happy childhood in Pennsylvania and Boston, and her later success as author of the classic Little Women.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,013,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible