Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, Book 1)…

Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Christina Dodd (Author)

Series: Darkness Chosen (1)

When the man she loves, Jasha Wilder, turns into a wolf before her very eyes, Ann Smith soon discovers that she has been chosen to break the curse that binds his soul.
Member:KateFaceAtl
Title:Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, Book 1)
Authors:Christina Dodd (Author)
Info:Berkley (2007), Edition: 1st Printing, 416 pages

Scent of Darkness by Christina Dodd

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. This was a re-read for me. I first read this book around the time of its original release, which was 2007, and didn't remember a whole lot about it besides the fact that the Hero is able to turn into a wolf and I liked it. As I read the book, there were some things that were somewhat familiar but in a lot of ways, it was like experiencing the story all over again for the first time. I am really glad that I decided to pick this one up again.

I love the set up for this series. The Wilder family is descended from a man that made a deal with the devil years ago. Since that deal was made, only male children have been born and each of those children is able to transform into a predator once they reach puberty. These are violent men who don't form attachments or marry but take what they want. Jasha's father broke tradition when he married his mother and hid his family from the larger family.

Jasha knows that his family is in danger from his mother's prophecy. Jasha is the oldest and is quite the businessman, owning a winery. He is the oldest of the four children in his family and he is able to turn into a wolf at will. Ann works for Jasha as his assistant but has wanted him for a very long time. She doesn't realize that when she goes to see him at his home that she is going to get more than she bargained for.

I found this book to be really exciting. I think that the fact that these characters are faced with a situation that is bigger than they are is really interesting. Their goal is really just to keep their family safe and despite the fact that their abilities come from a deal with the devil, they do want to do the right thing. I liked that the enemy could pop up anywhere and really that anything could happen.

I did like Jasha and Ann and thought that they did make a good pair. They did have a lot of chemistry and liked each other before the book actually began. I thought that Ann's history was really interesting and I liked the fact that she was able to accept everything going on as quickly as she did. Jasha really did care for Ann although he sometimes did need to learn to include her in the decisions that were being made.

I would recommend this book to fans of paranormal romance. I found this to be a fast-paced story with a rather unique premise. I am looking forward to continuing my re-read of the series very soon! ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | May 4, 2020 |
it was a good book as a whole but some parts mainly the ending left me a little cold, hopefully the next one once I get it will wow me better. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Scent of Darkness by Christina Dodd
Book #1 in Darkness Chosen
4 stars

Synopsis:
The Wilders must break the pact their vicious ancestor forged with the devil or be cursed for all eternity. On the night Ann Smith decides to seduce her boss, Jasha Wilder, she is astonished to see him transform into a wolf and soon learns that she holds the key to his family’s salvation. Chased by shapshifting assassins, Ann and Jasha must control their passion and work together to outwit these dangerous predators or they will never survive.

Review:
A fresh and invigorating story in a genre inundated with vampires. Christine Dodd has crafted an spellbinding mythology involving demons and holy relics that grip the reader throughout. The characterization is excellent, especially Ann who begins her journey as a naïve girl and develops into a proud and strong willed young woman. The back story regarding her mysterious childhood and tattoo is particularly intriguing. Jasha, however, can be a little overbearing but Ann has no problem putting him in his place.
Recommendation: For lovers of paranormal romance. I will definitely be continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Rich businessman is a shifter, but is also raised with really old-school attitudes, especially regarding women. The dual story was basically a good one, but too much violence and specific erotica for my taste. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 18, 2016 |
Ann Smith secretly loves her boss, the virile Jasha Wilder. After much prodding by her friends, including a makeover, a new car, and laser corrected vision, Ann sets out to seduce Jasha in his remote Washington home. Her plans, however did not in anyway include a gigantic wolf in the middle of her boss's living room, especially when "Fido" becomes something else. Have to say I find wolves majorly attractive after this one...lol. Read and you shall understand the connection. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Christina Doddprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
まいこ, 荒野翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darius, BeateÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,185,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible