Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, Book 2)…

Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, Book 2)

by Christina Dodd

Series: Darkness Chosen (2)

Touch of Darkness by Christina Dodd
Book #2 in Darkness Chosen
3 stars

Synopsis:
Rurik Wilder, a shapshifter who can turn into a bird of prey, is determined to break the curse that afflicts his family and goes in search of the holy icon that may fulfill this goal. Little does he know that the woman with whom he spent a night of unbridled passion is bent on revenge against the same assassins who seek to stop his quest. Can the two overcome their personal issues to triumph over their adversaries?

Review:
Starts out a bit slow but increases in pace as the quest/adventure proceeds. While the Wilder men are very similar, the heroines are vastly different. Ann is shy and unassuming while Tasya is fiercely independent with trust issues. I enjoyed the differences in their characterization.
The mythology of the series plays an important role in the story but it could have been developed more substantially. Moreover, Tasya’s backs story is not as compelling as Ann’s and her relationship with Rurik is more complex and conflicted.
Recommendation: A satisfying read and I am interested in seeing how the series develops. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Over a thousand years past, a man sells his soul and that of his descendants to the Devil in exchange for the ability to shape-change into a predator and gain power and wealth. The family, the Varinskis, based in the Ukraine, are now assassins and thugs for hire. One man went against tradition, marrying a gypsy girl against family rules, and leaves the family; moving to the American Pacific Northwest and changing his name to Wilder. His family of three sons and a daughter (true Varinskis only bear sons on their partners), fight to stay alive and now are trying to break the ancient curse to save the father's life and their immortal souls. loved this Series of Books. This being the first book of the series, it captivated me. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A search for the Missing icon takes us to the Scottish Isles for some excavating. Rurik the archeologist brother leads this story.There he leads a dig of an Ancient Celtic warrior's treasure filled with Indiana Jones style traps. The Dig discovers a golden trunk while he is away and reporters and danger descend upon him and the site. His love interest Tasya, the women who ran from him after one night in bed, is there and stuck in the middle of it all. They are nearly blown up and embark on a journey to find the icon, each for different reasons. He is driven to prove his love for her she only wants to get away.
A classic romance with an interesting paranormal shifter twist. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Oh yeah, I loved this book. Absolutely fantastic. I really like how Christina blends a bit of humor with suspense. I have no problem connecting with the characters and loved the hero in this one. I can’t wait to read the next story in this series. ( )
  Colereising | Apr 3, 2013 |
My opinion: I liked this book quite a bit more than the first one. My biggest problem with the first book was how mousy Ann was, and the ridiculous way she tried to seduce Jasha at the beginning. But Tasya is completely different, very strong and sure of herself...and she seems to have a love/hate relationship with Rurik Wilder. After having spent an erotic night together, Tasya ran out on Rurik and they hadn't seen each other since. But when Rurik returns to his dig site, he finds Tasya there. Soon the Varinskis are on their trail and the two are on the run, both trying to find one of the four missing icons. Rurik knows she is the one that he is meant to be with, the one who has to find the icon, so he is determined to protect her at any cost. The Varinskis are after Rurik, but Tasya is hiding some crucial secrets in her past. She wants nothing more than to destroy all of the Varinski family...but what will happen when she finds out Rurik is one of them?
As I said before, I really liked Tasya's character. She was a smart alec and didn't take crap from anyone, especially Rurik. And I found I liked Rurik a lot more than Jasha (from the first book) as well. I guess I was just able to connect with these two more and so I was able to enjoy the book more. As the story is progressing, I find myself so excited to get the next book to see what happens, if they find the rest of the icons to save Konstantine from eternal hell. Needless to say I'll probably be picking up the 3rd book in this series very soon!!

My rating: 4/5 stars ( )
  JamesterCK | Nov 20, 2010 |

Christina Doddprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darius, BeateÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
風子, 本多翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451221842, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Christina Dodd comes the second book of DARKNESS CHOSEN, a seductive series about an ancient, dark evil that lives in the modern world ...

A thousand years ago, a brutal warrior struck a terrifying bargain. In return for the ability to change at will into a cold-hearted predator, he promised his soul, and the souls of his descendants, to the devil.
Handsome, powerful Rurik Wilder battles darkness -- the darkness without, and the darkness within. For he possesses the power to transform himself into a fierce bird of prey, and that gift has caused death and destruction.
At last he is offered the chance to redeem himself and break the evil pact which has held his family in thrall for centuries. Only one woman stands in his way -- flamboyant Tasya Hunnicutt, a writer determined to wreak revenge on the assassins who murdered her family. Assassins, it's been rumored, who have powers no human should ever possess...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

Possessing the power to transform himself into a fierce bird of prey, Rurik Wilder is determined to break the evil pact that has enslaved his family for years, but Tasya Hunnicutt, a woman on her own mission, stands in his way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,477,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible