Juggling for the Complete Klutz by John…

Juggling for the Complete Klutz (1977)

by John Cassidy

Series: Klutz Book

Recently added byarpballew, jacobtree, private library, nexist, libermanlibrary, IslandsLibrary, HenryCoFBLA, Sylak

The 30th anniversary edition is presented with yet another cover variation. The book contents remain relatively unchanged (as far as I can see) since '94, minus a bit of editing to the company scrapbook at the back pages. This is not a criticism. In fact I would go so far as to say that this is certainly no bad thing. Let's face it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The juggling balls however are a different matter.

Gone are the trusted tough little multi coloured boxes filled with walnut shell that have lasted me so many years. Instead we now have slightly larger red velour cubes, filled with some kind of cereal grain (from what I can tell).
I have heard people complain that these new balls can split on impact. They certainly don't feel as hard wearing as previous incarnations. I'll bet that given a few months they will start to moult fuzz and begin to show their age rapidly too - which is another reason why I don't like this new material.
On the plus side, they do now included a nifty draw-string bag to keep your cubes safe; so I am adding 1/2 a star to the 1 star I removed due to the lesser juggling cubes. ( )
  Sylak | Jan 20, 2017 |
Limited Edition - 25 years 1977-2002

This 44th printing of the book, which celebrates its 25th anniversary, sports a silver foil cover, new preface which recounts the companies history (in brief); and, a two page scrap book on the back pages with photos of the companies founders and even an image of the cover of the first mimeograph copy - which was fun to see having read about it in previous issues. I remember the days of those spirit Banda machines very well!

Apart from these minor enhancements this is essentially a facsimilie of the 1994 edition.
  Sylak | Jan 19, 2017 |
The book that launched an empire (as they say).
First published in 1977, this book has never been out of print.
I don't remember when I received this copy, but it was probably in the early 1990s.

I was one of those awkwardly coordinated kids at school who marvelled at what I perceived (at the time, in the 70s) to be those rare 'cool kids' in school (in hindsight, likely as socially awkward as I was) who avoided the bullies through the evolutionary advantage of: knowing how to juggle.
For some reason this was a skill bullies instinctively feared. Yes, these lucky few may have had to put up with being taunted as freaks or weirdoes behind their backs; but, they were otherwise physically unharmed.
When you juggle, you automatically attract a crowd of open mouthed spectators. There is nothing bullies fear more than witnesses to their crimes. Hence why juggling acts like a 'bully shield'; that, or knowing how to play an instrument - another of my 'life goals'.
Notice that I distinguish between knowing and learning. Never let them see you 'learning' to do anything! That is why schools are so full of bullies. They are seats of learning and you can't have a pond without pond life!

Well, I never learnt to juggle as a child; but, I made sure I mingled with the crowds that formed around jugglers and musicians and met a lot of interesting people along the way.
So, as an adult, I was thrilled when I was given this book with accompanying sack of bean cubes. The only problem is that, at some point, I lost one of the cubes and so only ever learnt to juggle with two balls. I tried other balls, but I liked the way these cubes felt in my hands.

I intend to purchase another kit shortly in order to acquire some extra balls. Hopefully in time I'll then be able to teach my own children this valuable life skill.

This fourth edition (1994) contains an expanded 'juggling with clubs' section.
The juggling balls (included) are nice quality. Filled with walnut shell. Each ball is in a different colour (which helps beginners like me keep track of them in flight) and they are made from tough cotton 'rib knit' fabric with two colourful printed pattern panels either side. Very nice feel in the hands. ( )
  Sylak | Jan 19, 2017 |
Great little book but I still can't juggle. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I can juggle three balls, but so far being able to juggle four has eluded me. This book didn't get me on the right track for that. :D ( )
  herebedragons | Jun 16, 2011 |
This book is dedicated to the closet klutzes of the world . . .
So you're interested in learning how to juggle but it took you four years to learn how to tie your shoes and, besides, dropping things has always been second nature to you.
Juggling for the complete Klutz was first published as a mimographed lesson plan in 1977 when I was a student teacher in Mountain View.
[Foreward - 30th anniverssary edition]
Juggling for the complete Klutz turned 25 in 2002 and since we're big on birthday partiesat Klutz, we've decided to throw one for our flagship title.
[Preface - Limited Edition 25 years 1977-2002]

Introductory how-to text about juggling.

"An American Pop Culture Classic" (slogan from cartouche on cover)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0932592007, Paperback)

Twenty-six years ago, we started the Klutz empire with this single title. More than two million copies later, it remains the premiere hands-on instructional tool of the trade. We’re proud to say we taught the nation how to juggle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Provides a humorous step-by-step guide on learning how to juggle with three square bean bags.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible