The Mane Event by Shelly Laurenston

The Mane Event

by Shelly Laurenston

Series: Pride (1)

"Mace Llewellyn. Brendon Shaw. Two tall, gorgeous, sexy alpha heroes who are 100% male--with a little something extra. Lion-shifters, to be exact, who can unleash every woman's animal side and still look good--make that spectacular--in a suit. . .and even better out of it. . ." NYPD cop Desiree "Dez" MacDermot knows she's changed a lot since she palled around with her childhood buddy, Mace. But it's fair to say that Mace has changed even more. It isn't just those too-sexy gold eyes, or the six-four, built-like-a-Navy Seal body. It's something in the way he sniffs her neck and purrs, making her entire body tingle. . . Meanwhile, for Tennessean Ronnie Lee Reed, New York City is the place where any girl--even one who runs with a Pack--can redefine herself. First order of business: find a mate, settle down, and stop using men for sex. Even big, gorgeous, lion shifter men like Brendon Shaw. But she needn't worry, because now that Brendon's set his sights on her, the predator in him is ready to pounce and never let go. . .""… (more)
Recently added byrena75, LibraryHol, private library, unamercat, Mantha1126

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Meh. It was a little over the top with the sex, but no insta-lust, so there's that. Around the middle I was wondering if anything else was going to happen... But, I liked most of the characters, and it did end well, so...

I'll read one more before I decide if it's worth the effort, since I have a 4 book bundle in the series. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Mace Llewellyn has changed a lot since his teenaged years - now out of the army and all grown up so very well (and his lion’s mane now growing out to its full glorious length) but he never forgot Desiree MacDermot.

When a murder in his mother’s pride brings him home, he is again reunited with now police detective Desiree. Their attraction burns - but there’s a murder to investigate and Desiree knows nothing of the supernatural - or the politics of werelion prides

While Ronnie Lee, werewolf, has had a wild life and she thinks she’s ready to make better choices and settle down. But does Brendon Shaw, werelion ready to leave the pride life count?

I love so many aspects of the world building here. So many books have sued the concept of the supernatural to justify all kinds of weird and regressive ideas (like alpha werewolves being abusive arseholes for romance and everyone considering it perfectly ok). Which is why I really like how the concept of werelions here is so turned on its head. A society where the men basically do nothing but breed with multiple women and get fed? That sounds so ideal for creating said abusive nonsense. But instead we see female dominated societies, men traded back and forth as breeding stock and discarded when they’re no longer useful (Brendan is considered less useful to the Llewellyn family because he’s already bred several times; they have children from him they don’t especially need him any more). The men live lives of relatively idle luxury but it comes with being treated as very hungry decorative ornaments who can fight really well. One of the linking elements between Brandon, Mace and Mitch is that they’re all heavily opting out of the Pride system because they object to this treatment and usage.

The Hyenas also look savagly interesting. Again a strong sense of community and culture from another supernatural group. If I have any complaint about the world building and these excellent cultures it’s that we focus so much on the romance between the characters that we don’t actually explore these cultures, this world building (and anything else that may be out there) as much as I’d like - there’s something really excellent here but we’re focused so much on the, admittedly fun, relationship that we don’t really delve into it.

I also like the plot lines which explore the worlds far more - the conflict between the shapeshifter groups, the importance of various characters and how certain actions are considered “cheating” even in relatively violent societies and how investigating requires territory wrangling - the plot intertwines excellently with this and is fun to watch. And I quite liked that there were two stories here - because when we focused on Mace we kind of ignored Brandon despite him being more centrally a victim. It was nice to step back and revisit the person who had taken the most hits here

I wasn’t a fan of the sex scenes. Not so much because they were bad but because there were So. Many. Of. Them. And, again, it got in the way of far far far more interesting parts of the book. I found it especially frustrating when Desiree learns about the supernatural and doesn’t particularly examine it or ask many questions.

I have… a niggle. It’s a niggle that comes having already read book 3 (because I managed to completely get the first book in the series wrong). The thing is, Mitch (the protagonist in Mane Attraction), Brandon and Mace all feel…. Pretty similar? Lions who have, for various reasons, opted out of traditional werelion society. Men who are pretty light hearted, jokey and hilarious.

And Sissy, Ronnie Lee and Desiree are… also quite similar. All tough women who prefer casual encounters to relationships and all are pretty severely adamant that they will not will not will not have a long term relationship (either in general or with this specific man). Until the above man continues pushing until she surrenders to the inevitable. The basic frame of the plot, the basic frame of the characters

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | May 6, 2018 |
- 4 Mane Event Stars -

The Mane Event is book one in the Pride series by [a:Shelly Laurenston|65137|Shelly Laurenston|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1303073485p2/65137.jpg]. I love Ms. Laurenston’s work. She has a way with writing fabulously fun characters and the humor is over the top. What I like best is that the shifters and world are very different from a lot of the shifter books I’ve picked up and read, in that they seam more like animals, but without losing their humanity. In The Mane Event we get two story’s in this book Christmas Pride and Shaw’s Tail.

Christmas Pride

The first story is Christmas Pride about Mace Llewllyn who is a lion shifter and former Navy SEALs and Desireee “Dez” MacDermont who is an NYPD cop from the Bronx. During a murder investigation Dez runs back into her former best friend Mace.

The author has created an interesting world with Prides, Packs and more. Many things are like the wild animal world, but in a different way. Mace wants nothing to do with Pride life and everything to do with his dream girl. I loved this story. Mace is sexy as hell and Dez is no pushover. She takes everything in stride and the banter between all the characters is fantastically great. The couples are older and have life experiences, which I enjoy.

Shaw’s Tail

In the second story, Shaw’s Tail, we have Brendon Shaw another lion male, but he has been a breeding male and Ronnie Lee Reed a wolf shifter and wild child with severe commitment phobia’s. Brendon goes looking for his brother and ended up getting beat up, when Dez and the wolves come to the rescue he is caught by a sent he can't let go.

Brendon is a sexy lion with a face that makes women swoon. Once he gets a whiff of Ronnie he has no plans on letting her get away. As for Ronnie well she can’t seam to keep her mind off a silly male lion and may have just found the one thing she did not expect. I enjoyed this story. Like before we get a great cast of character, older couple, and a verity of shifters. The banter between everyone is great along with the friendships being built.

If you have not picked up a Shelly Laurenston’s book. I highly recommend you do. She is one of my go to authors and I love reading her books over and over again.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
This review first appeared on A Weebish Book Blog.

THE MANE EVENT is the first novel in the Pride series, a beloved series I often go back to when I want something familiar or sure to put me in a good mood. Laurenston’s books are funny and sexy, and they’re a favorite re-read. THE MANE EVENT features the first two stories in the series, and introduces us to some entertaining furry friends the series will star in upcoming books.

CHRISTMAS PRIDE
It took me a few months to strum up the courage to buy this book. I’d heard wonderful things but had never read anything by Laurenston before. I soon discovered Laurenston is laugh out loud funny, and her books get sexier in every book. She excels at keeping a reader entertained, throughout all her books, no matter the size of the series. I absolutely loved Christmas Pride. She dug her claws in and kept me intrigued until the end.

“Cats attach themselves to one person.” He raised his head to glare at Smitty. “We just don’t let them know.”

Mace and Dez were best buds in high school high school and were secretly crushing on one another until Dez and her family moved out-of-town. Twenty years later, when Mace leaves the Navy and returns home, he realizes Dez is back in New York and a police detective for the NYPD. His love for her has continued to grow over the years, and his plan to hunt her down and make her fall for him has just got easier… Or has it? Anytime he tries to spell out his feelings for her, she flees. To say she has commitment issues would be putting it mildly. Unfortunately for Dez, Mace is a “tricky cat” and no isn’t a word in his vocabulary.

Another wonderful aspect about THE MANE EVENT is the characters. They are all well-rounded and I couldn’t help but wish they all got their own story! You either hate these characters or love them. You may even want to bash a chair over their head and boss them around—but there’s never a blah moment to be had. One thing that truly kills a book for me is not feeling a connection to for the characters. What’s the point of reading a book about characters you care nothing for? I don’t have this problem with Mace, Dez, or any of the characters. In fact, I may have a not so mild obsession with most of them.

“I don’t like to be fucked with, Llewellyn.”

“Then you shouldn’t bend over and hand me the lube.”

Mace is so cute in his adoration for Dez. Okay, he’s cute regardless. At times I can see he’s literally a cat marking his ownership and he’s jealous of any attention she shows to others, even her pets, which I found truly hilarious. He’s also a gentleman, and incredibly ungentlemanly in bed. In a good way. Snort.

Dez is the type of woman I crush over. She’s extremely direct, kinda dangerous, and downright sexy. Plus, she shares a love of chocolate that I really relate to! I dig this women so hard and I like that she’s just as mischievous as Mace. They’re such a fun couple.

All-in-all, this story gave me a love for Shelly Laurenston, and started my attraction to humorous paranormal romance books.

SHAW’S TAIL
If I had any doubt that Christmas Pride was Laurenston’s one hit wonder, Shaw’s Tail proved them wrong. I fell more in love with the characters, especially Brendon who I was curious about in the first story. The writing is as brilliant as ever and I enjoyed reading Ronnie’s story and how she interacts with her big, overprotective brothers—one of my favorite familial themes in romance.

Shaw’s Tail is the story of how Ronnie Lee Reed, Sissy’s best friend and trouble making cohort, nurses Brendon Shaw back to health after he survives a deadly beating by a pack of sketchy lions. Brendon has two children with the Llewellyn Pride, and they’re two adorable but rambunctious children. Ronnie was ordered to stay with him until he got released, but she didn’t bet on him coming down with the shifter fever, and wrecking havoc on New York City… and her panties.

Ronnie Lee Reed is a fun she-wolf who’s decided it’s time to settle down and stop getting into trouble, a difficult task to accomplish while babysitting feverish lions who can’t keep it in their pants (and when your best friend is Sissy Smith). Plus he’s crazy sexy. What’s a she-wolf to do, but to keep him around until she gets bored?

Ronnie’s head tilted to the side. Is he…? Yup. He was doing the mambo. Paws crossing over paws. Head bopping to the beat. Thick, regal mane waving in the cold December air. He actually wasn’t too bad. For a big cat doing the mambo.

While I loved Ronnie and her outrageous—and sometimes illegal—sense of fun, I crushed harder on Brendon. He’s just too cute not to love. Laurenston has a talent for creating some cute and furry heroes. He’s über sensual yet adorably silly. He was the cause of a lot of giggle-snorting on my end. LOL.

THE MANE EVENT was freaking awesome. I strongly urge all shapeshifter/paranormal romance junkies to pick this book up. It’s totally worth the laughs, cuteness, and furry fun! ( )
  aweebishbookblog | Sep 24, 2017 |
3 good stars, not the I don’t know how to rate it 3 stars. Because it was a fun book. Funny, sexy fluff with lots and lots of fun sex and lovable characters. Books of this genre are in danger of trying too much. Consequently lose the genuineness that is so important in order to enjoy the book without it giving you heartburn. To me, Shelly Laurenston found the right amount and I was left feeling quite delighted.

veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |

Shelly Laurenstonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gerwig, KarenÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This title has two distinct stories
"Christmas Pride" and "Shaw's Tail"  (pub. Jan 1 2007)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible