Mission to Moscow

by Joseph E. Davies

This antiquarian volume contains Joseph E. Davies's memoir concerning his time spent as U.S. ambassador to Moscow from 1936 to 1938. The text is made up of official reports, personal letters to officials or friends of the author, entries from a single-page calendar diary, excerpts from a journal, and footnotes or special memoranda commenting upon certain facts in the text. When it was first published in 1941, the book sold over 700,000 copies and was translated into thirteen languages. The chapters contained herein include: 'The Mission Begins November 16, 1936 March 30, 1937'; 'Washington and Points East April 5 June 20, 1937'; 'The Purge Hits the Red Army June 25 July 28, 1937'; 'Russia Through her Neighbours' Eyes July 28 December 24, 1937'; 'The Purge Hits Bukharin January 15 March 17, 1938', etcetera. We are republishing this vintage book now complete with a new prefatory biography of the author."… (more)

286. Mission to Moscow, by Joseph E. Davies (read 4 Oct 1946) On Sep 29, 1946, I said: "Started a book I found laying in the room I just rented. Not much good and old." On Oct 4 I said: "Finished Mission to Moscow, thank goodness." ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 10, 2013 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Left Book Club (1942.05)
To Two great women; My wife and my Mother

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,750,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible