Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S.…

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (original 1971; edition 1998)

by Hunter S. Thompson

Member:Dips
Title:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Authors:Hunter S. Thompson
Info:Flamingo (1998), Paperback, 224 pages

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (1971)

Fear And Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist by Hunter S. Thompson (Scrub)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe (mcenroeucsb)
    The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson (gonzobrarian)
    gonzobrarian: The Curse of Lono may very well be the belated sequel to Fear and Loathing in LV; an older, more refined Thompson has savage epiphany in Hawai'i.
    Budding Prospects by T. C. Boyle (mcenroeucsb)
    The African Safari Papers by Robert Sedlack (mcenroeucsb)
    Inferno by August Strindberg (andejons)
    andejons: Both are filled with madness, paranoia, and fiction that does a fine job of masquerading as biography.
    A Good Man in Africa by William Boyd (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Amusing Rogue protagonists
    Moscow Circles by Venedikt Erofeev (ljessen)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (MyriadBooks)
    Ruminations from the Garden by Don Henry Ford Jr. (infiniteletters)

English (145)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (1)  All (149)
Ok. I'm glad I read it, but only to be able to say I read it. However, not a fan. I wanted to like this, but I was just sitting here shaking my head for most of the book. ( )
  CJ82487 | Mar 20, 2018 |
I don't know about the other readers but I was fascinated by the whole trip (and by trip I actually include both meanings). It is possible that Hunter S. Thompson was on something while writing the book. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
This was probably my favourite book that I’ve read this year, I know I’ll read it again. I don’t really feel qualified to express how great this book is, it’s just funny, and clever, and awesome. I love it, and I think Thompson is a crazy genius. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
This book has precursors, the highly personal reporting of the American presidential campaigns by Norman Mailer, and Thomas Wolfe's study of Ken Kesey's societal experiments.. For a short period this trio contributed highly coloured but intelligent analysis of the actions of American society especially about its political processes. This is more social than political, but like thomas wolfe on the drug culture, it opens a window on the manner in which the USA tried to deal with the rapid creation of a new viewpoint on the USA. Liberal adventurism. Great fun and very penetrating. ( )
1 vote DinadansFriend | Aug 13, 2017 |
Amazingly unrealistic in the amount of drugs the main characters manage to consume; the exaggeration manages to make an extensive point. The drug culture in the early 70's had apparently been shifting from hallucinogens to downers, and, as Thompson points out, "downers came in with Nixon." Funny how that kind of thing works out. The whirlwind of drugs in the book is evident in how it effects every possible aspect of the life and adventures of the main characters, though sometimes it is easy to forget that they are constantly under the influence of one drug or another. It is an interesting look into the 70's drug culture and their view of the "American Dream." ( )
1 vote J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is a number of things, most of them elusive on first reading and illusory thereafter. A solid second act by the author of "Hell's Angels," it is an apposite gloss on the more history-laden rock lyrics ("to live outside the law you must be honest")

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." -- Dr. Johnson
To Bob Geiger, for reasons that need not be explained here -- and to Bob Dylan, for Mister Tambourine Man
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . .' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming, 'Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?'
What were we doing out here? What was the meaning of this trip? Did I actually have a big red convertible out there on the street? was I just roaming around these Mint Hotel escalators in a drug frenzy of some kind, or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?
All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours, too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped to create...a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody-or at least some force-is tending the Light at the end of the tunnel.
Buy the ticket take the Ride
Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
You can always turn your back on a person, but you can never turn your back on a drug... especially when it's waving a hunting knife in your eyes.

The basic synopsis revolves around journalist Raoul Duke and his attorney, Dr. Gonzo, as they arrive in 70's Las Vegas to report on the Mint 400 motorcycle race. However, they soon abandon their work and begin experimenting with a variety of recreational drugs, such as LSD, cocaine, mescaline, and cannabis. This leads to a series of bizarre hallucinogenic trips, during which they destroy hotel rooms, wreck cars, and have visions of anthropomorphic desert animals, all the while ruminating on the decline of American culture.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679785892, Paperback)

Heralded as the "best book on the dope decade" by the New York Times Book Review, Hunter S. Thompson's documented drug orgy through Las Vegas would no doubt leave Nancy Reagan blushing and D.A.R.E. founders rethinking their motto. Under the pseudonym of Raoul Duke, Thompson travels with his Samoan attorney, Dr. Gonzo, in a souped-up convertible dubbed the "Great Red Shark." In its trunk, they stow "two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... A quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls," which they manage to consume during their short tour.

On assignment from a sports magazine to cover "the fabulous Mint 400"--a free-for-all biker's race in the heart of the Nevada desert--the drug-a-delic duo stumbles through Vegas in hallucinatory hopes of finding the American dream (two truck-stop waitresses tell them it's nearby, but can't remember if it's on the right or the left). They of course never get the story, but they do commit the only sins in Vegas: "burning the locals, abusing the tourists, terrifying the help." For Thompson to remember and pen his experiences with such clarity and wit is nothing short of a miracle; an impressive feat no matter how one feels about the subject matter. A first-rate sensibility twinger, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a pop-culture classic, an icon of an era past, and a nugget of pure comedic genius. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Records the experiences of a free-lance writer who embarked on a zany journey into the drug culture.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible