Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift…

Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1726; edition 1996)

by Jonathan Swift (Author)

15,130202267 (3.7)670
The voyages of an Englishman carry him to such strange places as Lilliput, where people are six inches tall; Brobdingnag, a land of giants; an island of sorcerers; and a country ruled by horses.
Member:TBWeber
Title:Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jonathan Swift (Author)
Info:Dover Publications (1996), Edition: Unabridged, 240 pages

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (1726)

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (infiniteletters)
    Candide by Voltaire (leigonj)
    leigonj: Two 18th century satires which chart the misfortunes of their protagonsists, here and there, across the (imagined) world.
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (chwiggy)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (infiniteletters)
    Kappa by Ryunosuke Akutagawa (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visitor to a strange society that subtly satirizes his own.
    The Food of the Gods, and How It Came to Earth by H. G. Wells (Hedgepeth)
    Penguin Island by Anatole France (Lapsus_Linguae)
    The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Faux travelogues of fictitious island cultures detailing the intricacies of their geography, governance, cuisine, art, etc.
    True History by Luciano Di Samosata (spiphany)
    The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka (leigonj)
    leigonj: Kafka had Swift's book in his library and there are definite commonalities between their two writings; I'd be surprised if one had not influenced the other. (Also The Trial).
    Het rondzwervende 'Vreemde' by Sigizmoend Krzizjanovski (razorsoccamremembers)
    A Pirate of Exquisite Mind: Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer: The Life of William Dampier by Diana Preston (PaperbackPirate)
1720s (1)
Read (23)
Satire (8)

English (117)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (144)
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Edizione del 1955 con testo originale in inglese ma con prefazione e bibliografia in lingua tedesca.
  Drusetta | Jan 6, 2021 |
I first read a simplified version of this classic fictional travelogue as a child. The kid's version only included the tale about the tiny residents of Lilliput and its rival kingdom, Blefuscu. I never knew until college there was a lot more to the book than just tiny people declaring war over how to eat eggs properly. I had so much fun reading this book in literature class in college. We picked apart the allegory and laughed at the slightly off-color parts of the book. I enjoyed revisiting the travels of Lemuel Gulliver. I'm glad the book was included in the list of 100 books for The Great American Read.

Lemuel Gulliver is shipwrecked and begins keeping a log of all of his adventures. First he meets tiny people who are amazed at the huge Man Mountain. He escapes Lilliput and before finding his way back to England he travels to a land filled with giants, a country filled with great thinkers who are unable to put their knowledge to any practical use, and a country where savage, deformed humans called Yahoos are the slaves of a race of talking horses. When Gulliver finally returns home he has a hard time returning to his normal life and spends much time in the stables trying to talk to his horses.

I enjoyed re-visiting this story. While on the outside it is an interesting adventure tale about Gulliver's strange travels, underneath the adventure there is much allegory about human nature, politics, social norms, prejudice and racism, injustice and corruption. My favorite part is when the Lilliputian ruler's home is burning down and there isn't enough water to put out the fire. So, Gulliver (being so much larger than the very tiny Lilliputians) decides to wing it -- putting out the fire completely by peeing on it. He is then prosecuted for urinating in the ruler's home. Because he did so in order to save the residence, he is shown mercy (cough, cough). Instead of being executed with poisoned arrows shot into his face, they are willing to just put out both his eyes. Another favorite scene is when he is faced with a giant farmer's wife who breast feeds her baby in his presence. Gulliver is quite taken aback at seeing a breast that is 16 feet in circumference, making commentary that flaws in the (ahem) attributes of English women are much easier to hide because they aren't giant and totally in his face.

I love how Jonathan Swift slams much of the nonsense of the human condition and our flaws while hiding his real intent within the fantastical travelogue of Lemuel Gulliver. The book is both hilarious and thought provoking. I'm so glad I re-read this book. I enjoyed it just as much as I did as a child when I only got part of the tale....and again in college when I studied it in full.

Gulliver's Travels is the 11th book that I have read/re-read as part of The Great American Read. The list of 100 books for GAR are listed here: The Great American Read . I am going to try to read as many of the books on the list as I can. 11 down....89 to go! :) ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Read by Michael Redgrave
  BIBLIOTECATLACUILO | Nov 4, 2020 |
Un testo intramontabile. Un'opera nella quale ci si può fermare alla superficie della narrazione e conoscer mondi straordinari, quanto addentrarsi più in profondità e scoprire l'eco di un relativismo etico e culturale che non farebbe mai male tener sempre presente. Aiuta a crescere e diventare uomini più aperti, tolleranti, completi. ( )
  Carlomascellani73 | Oct 30, 2020 |

Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Lanterne (L 379)
I Libri dell'Unità (Mongolfiere, 11-12)

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.
And he gave it for his opinion, "that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.”
I said there was a society of men among us, bred up from their youth in the art of proving by words multiplied for the purpose, that white is black, and black is white, according as they are paid. […] It is a maxim among these lawyers, that whatever hath been done before may legally be done again: and therefore they take special care to record all the decisions formerly made against common justice and the general reason of mankind. These, under the name of precedents, they produce as authorities, to justify the most iniquitous opinions; and the judges never fail of decreeing accordingly.
This is the main work for Gulliver's Travels. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439491, 0140382402, 0141196645, 0141195177, 0141198982

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102723, 1400109027

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175943, 1909175390

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,589,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible