Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions)…

Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1726; edition 1996)

by Jonathan Swift (Author)

The voyages of an Englishman carry him to such strange places as Lilliput, where people are six inches tall; Brobdingnag, a land of giants; an island of sorcerers; and a country ruled by horses.
Member:Hannah17C
Title:Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jonathan Swift (Author)
Info:Dover Publications (1996), Edition: Unabridged, 240 pages

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (1726)

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (infiniteletters)
    Candide by Voltaire (leigonj)
    leigonj: Two 18th century satires which chart the misfortunes of their protagonsists, here and there, across the (imagined) world.
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (chwiggy)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (infiniteletters)
    Kappa by Ryunosuke Akutagawa (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visitor to a strange society that subtly satirizes his own.
    The Food of the Gods, and How It Came to Earth by H. G. Wells (Hedgepeth)
    Penguin Island by Anatole France (Lapsus_Linguae)
    The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Faux travelogues of fictitious island cultures detailing the intricacies of their geography, governance, cuisine, art, etc.
    True History by Luciano Di Samosata (spiphany)
    The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka (leigonj)
    leigonj: Kafka had Swift's book in his library and there are definite commonalities between their two writings; I'd be surprised if one had not influenced the other. (Also The Trial).
    Het rondzwervende 'Vreemde' by Sigizmoend Krzizjanovski (razorsoccamremembers)
    A Pirate of Exquisite Mind: Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer: The Life of William Dampier by Diana Preston (PaperbackPirate)
1720s (1)
Read (23)

English (123)  Spanish (8)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (156)
I have always loved classic children's literature and have read much of it. This particular book is one of my favorites and I think it is equally good when you it as an adult or as a child. The characters are engaging and realistic and the story draws you in. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Gulliver’s Travels is a classic from the 1700’s. It tells four fanciful tales about a fictional man named Lemuel Gulliver who has a propensity for getting stranded in remote pockets of the world whenever he sails off on a ship. He inevitably finds some very unique people in each of these remote places. Part of the fun was seeing what he would encounter next, so I’ll only tell about where he ends up in the first story – Lilliput, a land with tiny humans about six inches tall. (A precursor to the Borrowers, maybe?)

The first two stories were more entertaining than the second two. They focused more on introducing the reader to a fun and fanciful situation, with interesting challenges for the main character to face. They had more action and more appealing humor. There’s a lot of political and social commentary throughout the entire book, but it dominates the later stories. That commentary became too heavy-handed for me. It would start off as entertainingly sarcastic humor at the expense of human nature, which I often enjoy. However, the author would soon take it to extremes, using a bitter tone that I found unpleasant, especially toward the end. In addition, I have little knowledge about or, to be frank, interest in, the political situation of England in the 1700’s. I heard several things whooshing over my head as a result.

Take my review with a grain of salt, because I read it over the course of two very busy weeks. I worked over 80 hours in the past 6 days, which was about the point when I was reading the second two stories that I had the most complaints about, so I’m sure that had some influence over my reaction. I did enjoy the first two stories pretty well though, and the other two had interesting settings and some fun moments. The later stories would have appealed to me more if they’d had a similar ratio of story vs political commentary as the first two. I’m rating this at 2.5 stars and rounding up to 3 on Goodreads. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Aug 20, 2021 |
Ok........ I'm giving up while the going's good!
Sometimes I wonder why I keep on trying to read classic fiction, a lot of it is so not my cup of tea. Anyhoo.....
This book reads more like a report than an actual story, which in someways I guess it is but I just couldn't get my head around the factual nature of it. I admit I only read 40 pages before I gave up but there's no world building or actual story telling at all, just 'facts'.
The writing style is very direct & a bit disconnected as well as the language switching between ye olde english & more modern day english, it just did my head in.
All in all, yeah, nuh lol! :O)
  leah152 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Colección: Historia Universal de la Literatura
Nº83 ( )
  Aido2021 | Apr 4, 2021 |
I'm not sure how to rate it because it's satirical and I find it too dense. I read it on a whim aaaaaaand I fell asleep.
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |

Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Lanterne (L 379)
I Libri dell'Unità (Mongolfiere, 11-12)

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.
And he gave it for his opinion, "that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.”
I said there was a society of men among us, bred up from their youth in the art of proving by words multiplied for the purpose, that white is black, and black is white, according as they are paid. […] It is a maxim among these lawyers, that whatever hath been done before may legally be done again: and therefore they take special care to record all the decisions formerly made against common justice and the general reason of mankind. These, under the name of precedents, they produce as authorities, to justify the most iniquitous opinions; and the judges never fail of decreeing accordingly.
This is the main work for Gulliver's Travels. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140382402, 0141196645, 0141195177, 0141198982

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102723, 1400109027

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175943, 1909175390

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,556,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible