Cat's Cradle: A Novel by Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle: A Novel (original 1963; edition 1998)

by Kurt Vonnegut (Author)

Vonnegut's satirical commentary on modern man and his madness. An apocalyptic tale of this planet's ultimate fate. Features a midget as the protagonist; a complete, original theology created by a calypso signer; and a vision of the future that is at once blackly fatalistic and funny.
Member:Lenamusic123
Title:Cat's Cradle: A Novel
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut (Author)
Info:Dell Publishing (1998), 304 pages

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (1963)

1960s (5)
Read (42)

English (252)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (259)
I appreciated the cynicism.

But that was one of the only things I appreciated about Vonnegut. His style felt too simple, almost like a foil to the outlandish and labyrinth plotline. The characters were all unlikable, mostly thoughtless caricatures. And the plot--oh, the plot! Did Vonnegut just decide to write the most absurd turns and twists every time he sat down by his typewriter? Literally, there was a point in the book where every chapter included some kind of unlikely but completely predictable coincidence.

It was a one-day read, and I liked the messages it conveyed, and I loved the opening thrust--of a writer unearthing the history of the family of the man who invented the atom bomb. But when it lurched into outlandishness, I lost interest. I continued reading just to be able to say that I read it, and that's never a good sign. It reminded me of another book that I did give up on in the middle when it became too ridiculous, too much of a vehicle for one singular message rather than a vehicle for good literature--what was it? Oh yeah. Slaughterhouse. ( )
  Gadi_Cohen | Sep 22, 2021 |
"See the cat? See the cradle?” Vonnegut created the best religion of all time. ( )
  Caleb67 | Aug 23, 2021 |
“Live by the harmless untruths that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.” ( )
  hueyy | Jul 13, 2021 |
His books usually have only one thing to say, nothing new, and he doesn't say it very well. ( )
  KENNERLYDAN | Jul 11, 2021 |
Funny and loaded with quirky characters, and, beneath the surface, a lot to say. ( )
  charlie68 | Jul 3, 2021 |
"Cat's Cradle" is an irreverent and often highly entertaining fantasy concerning the playful irresponsibility of nuclear scientists. Like the best of contemporary satire, it is work of a far more engaging and meaningful order than the melodramatic tripe which most critics seem to consider "serious."

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kunkel, BenjaminIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelham, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vezzoli, DelfinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing in this book is true.
'Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.'
The Books of Bokonon. I:5
*harmless untruths
For Kenneth Littauer,
a man of gallantry and taste.
Call me Jonah.
"No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's..."
"And?"
"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."
'Aamons, Mona', the index said, 'adopted by
Monzano in order to boost Monzano's
popularity, 194-199, 216n; childhood in com
pound of House of Hope and Mercy, 63-81;
childhood romance with P. Castle, 72f; death of father, 89ff; death of mother, 92f; embarrassed
by role as national erotic symbol, 80, 95, 166n.,
209, 247n., 400-406, 566n., 678; engaged to P.
Castle, 193; essential naivete, 67-71, 80, 95f,
116n., 209, 274n., 400-406, 566n., 678; lives with
Bokonon, 92-98, 196-197; poems about, 2n., 26,
114, 119, 311, 316, 477n., 501, 507, 555n., 689,
718ff, 799ff, 800n., 841, 846ff, 908n., 971, 974;
poems by, 89, 92, 193; returns to Monzano, 199?
returns to Bokonon, 197; runs away from
Bokonon, 199; runs away from Monzano, 197;
tries to make self ugly in order to stop being
erotic symbol to islanders, 80, 95f, 116n., 209,
247n., 400-406, 566n., 678; tutored by Bokonon,
63-80; writes letter to United Nations, 200;
xylophone virtuoso, 71'.
I showed this index entry to
She hated people who thought too much. At that moment she struck me as an appropriate representative for almost all mankind.
,"...I was very upset about how Americans couldn't imagine what it was like to be something else, to be something else and proud of it."
"The highest possible form of treason," said Minton, "is to say that Americans aren't loved wherever they go, whatever they do. Claire tried to make the point that American foreign policy should recognise hate rather than imagine love."

In Vonnegut's satirical commentary on modern man and his madness. An apocalyptic tale of this planet's ultimate fate, it features a midget as the protagonist; a complete, original theology created by a calypso singer; and a vision of the future that is at once blackly fatalistic and hilariously funny. A book that left an indelible mark on an entire generation of readers, Cat's Cradle is one of this century's most important works...and Vonnegut at his very best.

4 2024
5 2068

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189347, 0141045442, 0241951607

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,135,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible