Misty of Chincoteague (1947)

by Marguerite Henry

Series: Misty of Chincoteague (1)

Paul and his sister Maureen's determination to own a pony from the herd on Chincoteague Island, Virginia, is greatly increased when the Phantom and her colt are among the ponies rounded up for the yearly auction.

Enthralling tale that is a must for all horse lovers.

I read it as most here have, when I was just child but I never forgot it.

I love the story of Misty, the wild horse and the family who loves her and it’s made even that much better by the fact that this is a true story .

This is a book you can read, your children can read and your grandchildren can read.

Also read "Stormy, Misty's fowl", an equally great book.

A must for all horse lovers and animal lovers in general. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 6, 2022 |
I knew there was a series of books about the wild horses of Chincoteague/Assateague but I hadn't read them prior to this. I didn't even know this book was the first of the series until I came on here to rate and review it. I got this book at a library book sale thinking that one of my friends, who had visited this area, would be interested in it after I was done--I see she already has read it, so it will probably get passed on to another friend instead.

I'm much older than the age range this book is meant for. I suspect I would have rated it higher had I read it when younger and more in my horse and pony phase.

The first two chapters tell the story of how the ponies/horses ended up on the island--and that was interesting.

I had a hard time with the idea of Pony Penning Day. I get that population control is probably necessary, but it still seems sad to capture them and take them away from their home. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 29, 2022 |
I read this sooooo long ago, back in my little girl in love with horses phase. It's good for that. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
As a child, and as an adult too actually, I loved horse stories. Marguerite Henry writes an easy but enjoyable horse story. Her stories feel very true to the time and setting and are enjoyable to read. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
A timeless horse tale.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 19, 2021 |

Marguerite Henryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bolognese, DonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dennis, WesleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

TO: Paul and Maureen Beebe, Grandpa and Grandma Beebe, Eba Jones, Fire Chief, Wyle Maddox, Leader of Roundup Men, L. Quillen, Roundup Man, Wilbur Wimbrow, Roundup Man, Hoawrd Rogers, Roundup Man, Harvey Beebe, Roundup Man, Harold Beebe, father of Paul and Maureen, Ralph Beebe, uncle of Paul and Maureen, Delbert Dasiey, Bronc Buster, Victoria and William Pruitt, all of whom really live on Chincoteague Island and who appear as characters in this book, and a special dedication to three Chincoteague ponies: Phantom, Pied Piper, Misty
A wild, ringing neigh shrilled up from the hold of the Spanish galleon.

Nobody could capture the Phantom. She was the wildest mare on Assateague Island. They said she was like the wind, that the white 'map' on her shoulders was her mark of freedom.

Paul and Maureen Beebe had their hearts set on owning her. they were itching to buy and tame her, and worked hard to earn the money she would cost. But the roundup men had tried to capture her and for two years she had escaped them ...

Pony Penning Day hols a surprise for everyone, for Paul not only brings in the Phantom, but her newborn foal as well. Can Paul and Maureen possibly earn enough to buy them both?

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,190,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible