Moccasin Trail by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Moccasin Trail (original 1952; edition 1992)

by Eloise Jarvis McGraw (Author)

A pioneer boy, brought up by Crow Indians, is reunited with his family and attempts to orient himself in the white man's culture.
Member:NicholasCamusi
Title:Moccasin Trail
Authors:Eloise Jarvis McGraw (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc (1992), Edition: First Printing, 247 pages

Work Information

Moccasin Trail by Eloise Jarvis McGraw (1952)

Eloise Jarvis McGraw has written some of my favorite books of all time, and I pulled this off the shelf at the library because it was the only book there by McGraw. However, this book is problematic for numerous reasons, many of them recounted by other reviewers (e.g., indigenous peoples = savages = bad; white = good). The writing is also very slow and stilted, and I skimmed after the first few chapters. Don't waste your time on this one. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Jonathan ran away from his abusive father to trap with his uncle. After being attacked by a bear, he was rescued by the Crow Indians. He lived among them for years, then left to live the life of a trapper once again. Living off the land in semi- solitude, he does not know how to relate to what he calls the "bourgessy" white people. He also feels estranged by the natives after one of his tribe displayed a white woman's scalp after a raid on a settlement.

He eventually returns to his family but has difficulty fitting in. He longs for a life in the wild, free of constraints of the pioneers and their traditions, clothing and culture. He tries to teach his younger brother the ways of the natives, but also desperately wants the approval of his sister and other older brother.
While I found the writing engaging, I found the content unacceptable for children in the 21st century.
While the book does try to teach respect and understanding of native culture, I felt it did so in a condescending way. It also had some inherent racism. Women were looked down on, especially the "squaws". The author uses terms that seem obviously racist to me. If the author decided to do this to create a more realistic portrayal of the relationship between whites and natives, it still is not appropriate for our times.

Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Jim Keath runs away from home at an early age, gets mauled by a bear and then raised by the Crow Indians who save him, runs away from the Crow and spends his time with a fur-trapper until he discovers that what remains of his family have followed the Oregon Trail for a new homestead. This is where the book picks up and so follows Jim's struggle to discover where he belongs, being not fully white nor fully Crow.
I'm torn about this one, really. The story was good, and I love Jim bunches, but although McCraw does seem to try to balance sympathies between both the Crow and the white man's lifestyles, I'm uncomfortable with her glorification of what the white settlers got up to, to the great cost of the lives of so many. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 2, 2017 |
Jim Keath, a young runaway, is saved from a grizzly bear attack by the Crow, who adopt and raise him. He later leaves the tribe to become a trapper, and finally rejoins his birth family, now resettled in Willamette Valley, Oregon. Having reunited with his family, Jim must confront the conflict between his Indian and white worlds. His adventures serve as a backdrop as he searches for his true identity.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,234,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible