dismiss

Ismael. Roman. by Daniel Quinn

Ismael. Roman. (original 1992; edition 1994)

by Daniel Quinn

Series: Ishmael (1)

A man and a great ape conduct a series of philosophical conversations in a work that presents a new vision of evolution and humankind and asks the question: does the Earth belong to humans, or do humans belong to the Earth?
Member:Jisi
Title:Ismael. Roman.
Authors:Daniel Quinn
Info:Goldmann (1994), Paperback

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (1992)

My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (teelgee, HoudeRat)
    teelgee: Sequel, every bit as good.
    Endgame, Vol. 1: The Problem of Civilization by Derrick Jensen (owen1218)
    Civilized Man's Eight Deadly Sins by Konrad Lorenz (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Lucy_Skywalker: but without being didactic and irritating
    The Celestine Prophecy: An Adventure by James Redfield (amyblue)
    The Nature of Economies by Jane Jacobs (aneurysm1985)
    aneurysm1985: Both are about similar social-ecological issues. And both are the result of the authors (Quinn and Jacobs) enlightening readers about non-fiction topics through the use of fictional characters and Platonic dialogue. Both novels are written with the overarching purpose of educating their readers about unfamiliar topics.… (more)
    We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler (KatyBee)
    Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Their both lecture style novels which use fiction to present a variety of different thoughts and philosophies.
    Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another perspective on the spread of our culture and civilization.

English (101)  German (1)  All languages (102)
the most beautiful place in the world
  victor.k.jacobsson | May 23, 2020 |
I liked this author's forthright depiction of human 'progress.' Some chafe at it though. ( )
  LGCullens | Apr 13, 2020 |
This book will make you think. It doesn't have much plot, it is mainly a series of conversations about philosophy, but it is very interesting. I'm not sure I agree with everyone of his conclusions, but it will make you question and is a great book for discussion. I would recommend it to everyone. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Dec 31, 2019 |
A fantastic book. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
A must read book about a man searching for a teacher that turns out to be a gorilla who knows the history of how we have become who we are.
  Briab | Oct 24, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

The first time I read the ad, I choked and cursed and spat and threw the paper to the floor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,626,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible