Mr. Popper's Penguins (1938)

by Richard Atwater, Florence Atwater

The unexpected delivery of a large crate containing an Antarctic penguin changes the life and fortunes of Mr. Popper, a house painter obsessed by dreams of the Polar regions.

children's fiction (on audio). Nicely brought to life with music and sound effects (but not too much music and sound effects). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Funny. I did prefer the movie because this took me a bit to get into. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Jun 8, 2021 |
It tells the story of a poor house painter named Mr. Popper and his family, who live in the small town of Stillwater in the 1930s ( )
  VictorTran | Apr 19, 2021 |
As a "near vegan" this book was ... discouraging ... because the poor penguin was removed from it's natural habitat and mailed to someone as a present, who kept the bird, and, well, I just felt so bad for the penguin (which eventually multiplied into many penguins) throughout the fun little book.

Perhaps the funniest part of the entire book, for me, was at the end when Mr. Popper is on the ship, helping to send his penguins off to some snow, and asked/tells his wife that he's been told his part of the crew and "would you mind if I'm gone for a year or two?" and she's perfectly fine with that and happy to see him go LOL!

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Mar 9, 2021 |
Well as children's books go; this was imaginative, fun, & entertaining. I had never read this before and now I can say I have....

I'm thinking the movie might be better ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Mar 1, 2021 |

Atwater, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwater, Florencemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawson, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was an afternoon in late September.

Mr Popper receives an unexpected delivery--a real, live penguin! Soon, another penguin arrives...and another...until his home is transformed into a snowy winter wonderland. As the penguins--each with a distinct and delightful personality--continue to turn Mr. Popper's life upside down, he decides to take this show on the road. Mr. Popper's penguins becomes a nationwide sensation.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316058432, 0316058424, 1600246753

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,319,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible