Letters From The Earth by Mark Twain

Letters From The Earth (original 1962; edition 2010)

by Mark Twain, Bernard DeVoto (Editor), Henry Nash Smith (Introduction)

Member:shmibs
Title:Letters From The Earth
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:Bernard DeVoto (Editor), Henry Nash Smith (Introduction)
Info:
Rating:****1/2

Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain (1962)

The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both are easy to read and have similar anti-religious goals.
    Unpopular Essays by Bertrand Russell (fundevogel)
    fundevogel: Like Twain Russell uses wit and humor to present his social and philosophical views, often on reason, sexuality and religion.
    The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both anti-religious writings, concentrating on Christianity, of which both contend their unnatural doctrines. Both have humour and readable in one sitting.

The version I read seemed to have a number of additional pieces at the end of Letters from the Earth. I loved Letters from the Earth, but the stuff added on in the second half was hit and miss. It's easy to see why Twain thought this work would never be published due to censorship. He pulls no punches as he takes on religion with satyrical vengeance. I really enjoyed it a lot. If you don't want your religious views challenged - no matter what they are - you probably want to shy away from this one. ( )
1 vote bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
I read this book because I was seeking inspiration in three ways: 1) I wanted to read some good religious satire to motivate further writing for my TheKnish.com website. 2) I wanted to observe some editor methods as this work was compiled in expert ways by a single resource. 3) I wanted to see if Twain himself covered ground on a sequel idea I have for one of his works. To the first point, I found exactly what I was looking for, and some idea germs have begun generating, though some of his work is almost too clever. To the second point, I found what I was seeking as well. The footnotes at the end reveal fascinating approaches to curating disjointed writings, exactly what I needed. To the third point, I am delighted to find that Twain actually abandoned the idea that I have in my head to pursue other works. I am, therefore, really excited. ( )
1 vote MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
The essay on Cooper's prose style (or lack there of) made me go read the Deerslayer. Twain was right on that. I also remember a story about the worlds most annoying poem or some such involving a ticket taker (Punch, Brother, Punch) ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 29, 2014 |
Typical Twain. Brilliance amid some blather. The opening essay was outstanding, the autobiography of Eve, was very familiar and often hilarious, and the last unfinished story was superb Sci Fi resembling Asimov's, The Fantastic Voyage. ( )
2 vote Sandydog1 | Jul 16, 2014 |
The first set of essays 'Letters from the Earth' are excellent. The essays then (inexplicably) continue into different topics. Some of them are fantastic and some are just 'eh. Overall - this is classic Twain and defintely worth the read. ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated
DeVoto, BernardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Henry NashPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Creator sat upon the throne, thinking.
Please note: Letters from the Earth was written by Mark Twain. If you have this work, please list Mark Twain as the primary author, and use the "Other Authors" field to list Bernard DeVoto as Editor. This will allow your book to be combined with the copies on the Mark Twain author page.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060518650, Paperback)

If you're already familiar with Finn and Sawyer, perhaps this collection of fragments, short stories, and essays--assembled posthumously some few decades ago now, but still fresh--will enhance your sense of Twain's true range. A particular favorite: his essay "The Damned Human Race," wherein he proves, rather convincingly, that an anaconda snake is a higher form of life than an English Earl.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

A collection of letters and essays by the author of "Tom Sawyer."

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible