Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that…

by Sally Fallon

A full-spectrum nutritional cookbook with a startling message--animal fats and cholesterol are vital factors in the human diet, necessary for reproduction and normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels. Includes information on how to prepare grains, health benefits of bone broths and enzyme-rich lacto-fermented foods.… (more)
Member:lancenjessi
Title:Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
Authors:Sally Fallon
Info:NewTrends Publishing (1999), Edition: Revised and Updated 2nd, Paperback, 688 pages

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats by Sally Fallon

Wow...I only read the intro on nutrition (required for my class), but I am definitely coming back to this book as a reference. There is SO much information in this book. Definitely worth a perusal. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Great book on how to eat well
  agarnett02 | Oct 13, 2018 |
Great recipes and scientific explanations as to why going back to traditional cooking and foods is such a healthy option. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
This book sets out to upset the traditional recommendations for food and nutrition; giving examples from tribal peoples and other studies. The authors give very detailed accounts of ingredients and nutrition. They believe that fat is not evil, but sugar is. Fermentation and enzymes are what our bodies are missing (removed from our diets by over-processed food), along with whole odd grains (because white flour turns into sugar in the bloodstream quickly), many varieties of vegetables, meats and so forth.

I have a hard time buying into all of it, or perhaps I should say that they overstated their case to the point that it sounded like hyperbole? However, the recipes are solid and tasty sounding. I am very tempted to buy a copy for that alone. I love fermented vegetables and there were many simple ways to make them in this. Actually, most of the ways to make them were the same, just switching out veggies. I appreciate the knowledge gained on various ingredients, and the ideas for continuing to cook wholesome food without waste. ( )
  MrsLee | Mar 6, 2016 |
I like to have recipes like this at my fingertips:

1. Beet Kvaas Recipe
2. Upper temperature for scalding mild when making yogurt ... 180F.
3. Sour Kraut and other vegetable fermentations.
4. Pickles.
5. Broths, especially cooking radical amounts of time like 24 hours or more.
  BookPearl | Oct 17, 2015 |

Sally Fallonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mary G. Enig, Ph.DAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dearth, MarionIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murray, Kim WatersCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,191,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible