Dark Warrior Rising by Ed Greenwood

Dark Warrior Rising

by Ed Greenwood

Series: Novel of Niflheim (book 1)

For as long as can be remembered Niflgar -- dark elves -- have been raiding the Blindingbright for slaves. Orivon Firefist was captured as a child of six on one such raid. Many years pass and Orivon has grown to be one of the greatest men at forgework. Harassed and abused by his cruel mistress, Taerune, Orivon bides his time planning his escape. When a rivals attack the city he just may get his chance.

I ended up enjoying Dark Warrior Rising more than I expected. The first 80 pages or so layout a lot of groundwork, covering everything from Niflgar society and basic world building, outlining the family and society hierarchy as well as setting up rival religions. We get a taste of dark elves that are both familiar and yet different. It also ends up being an interesting look at just how quickly a few egos can tear a city apart given the opportunity. The names of just about everything took some getting used to though.

At the very end of the novel the author includes an essay tracing the origin of dark elves in mythology, focusing primarily on Norse myths though Celtic also gets a mention, and how it has been translated today. He gives examples from Beowulf to Lord of the Rings to D&D. He also explains how he chose his setting, which is deliberately not true to the myth, and why he wanted to tell his story the way he did.

The main book I would recommend to those that enjoy a good hack and slash, assuming they can make it through the slightly boring set up. The essay is a fantastic read that I would highly recommend to anyone interested on where some of our popular stories originated. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 20, 2015 |
I have not yet read the novel contained in this work, but it also contains an essay on the mythology behind the story. Dark elves have been a mythology staple in many cultures, though most mythology references seem to gloss-over or ignore them. The essay follows their development from Norse myth to the fantasy villains known as 'drow' in Dungeons & Dragons game and fiction settings. This is by far the best essay on the topic I have ever encountered, and is worth the price of the book. If the novel is anywhere near as good, then you are getting twice your money's worth.
  branadain | Feb 1, 2010 |

Ed Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Abby,
For all of Taerune's good qualities, and none of her bad ones
Little is known of the Dark Below in the years before the Great Doom, but from the writings and testimonies of the few Niflghar and humans who came up into the light in those times, some truths can be told.

Every day, Sam takes the same old sheep up the same old mountain. What can he do to make life a little more exciting?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,018,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible