One Morning in Maine (1952)

by Robert McCloskey

It's a big day for a little girl when she discovers her first loose tooth and makes a trip to the grocery store on the mainland.

I’m not sure how I ended up with this book because it’s not one I read as a kid and in fact this was my first time reading any book by this author. I was into magical or scary stories very, very early on and wouldn’t have responded to the beautiful nature drawings or the sweet story back then. I like it now though. Very cute. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
So, there was a piece on Robert McCloskey on the news, with something about his most famous book, to Bostonians anyway, Make Way for Ducklings. My spouse and I started musing about his other books. Later I looked them up on Libby and found three I could download and read on my iPad.

This is the one I remember least of the three. Basically, Sal has to get ready to help her father dig clams and later on go to town on errands. Along the way she has adventures, one of which is her first loose tooth. She also meets and talks to lots of birds and other animals along the way and muses about whether they have teeth. It's a lovely book, enhanced by the fact that Sal somewhat resembles my adorable granddaughter, Ramona, although Sal is somewhat older. Ramona won't be losing any teeth for a few more years.
  lgpiper | Jan 10, 2021 |
Not the world's most exciting book, but a lovely, gentle slice-of-life story where nothing really important happens: the big event, revealed very early, is that Sal loses a tooth. The rest of the plot is just very honest, carefully observed, tenderly illustrated, normal everyday life. (Slightly more exciting than normal, as they're heading into the small town later in the day, which appears to be only a weekly occurence).

It's a nice book, and while reading it you will be charmed, and not miss wheedling pigeons or magic wardrobes or horcruxes. I suspect it's even more potent now, when the charms of the past are added to the charms of the rural life—the typical parent nowadays will have much to contrast and compare if reading aloud.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). I feel a lot of readers automatically render any book they enjoy 5, but I grade on a curve! ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Sal loses a tooth in this story of a family which lives on an island.
  NMiller22 | Aug 10, 2019 |
One morning, Sal wake up and finds that her tooth is loose! She looses her tooth while digging for clams. She decides to wish on a feather instead. Her sister wishes on a spark plug and they both get ice cream. This book follows the day of a very energetic girl and her family. It sets the scene of an ideal life in Maine that anyone would love to jump into.
  helenaament | Aug 12, 2018 |
One morning in Maine, Sal woke up.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,405,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible