Dragonsong (Volume One of the Harper Hall…
5,774841,142 (4.1)2 / 224
Member:SweetKokoro
Title:Dragonsong (Volume One of the Harper Hall Trilogy)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Spectra Bantam (1977), 176 pages

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

Recently added byAnnica2001, BMoreno79403, SLUmustangs, private library, saracrearick, larryz223, somasis, cns1000

English (82)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (84)
Dragonsong, this book means a ton to me. The Harper Hall Trilogy is what got me into McCaffrey’s work.

I will not lie though going back years after I originally read this there are what some would call “issues” with the book. It’s very clear that it was written with an older mind set. There are tons of “she can’t do this, she is a girl” and “ I can’t do this, because I am a girl” and “girls are not allowed to do that” going on in this book. But while these phrases are used constantly our main girl Menolly constantly questions it and gets very annoyed by it. Menolly is a sweet girl, I love her dearly and through out the book I understand why I connected with her at such a young age. She has a talent that everyone wants to hide, they lie to keep it from her and when she finally has enough of it, she leaves, probably not the smartest thing for a young girl to look up to but I did.

McCraffrey doesn’t over-explain her world in this book but it does get a little repetitive, such as the fall of thread, it was reexplained many times to the point of annoyance. But to make up for it I do love the little details she uses to explain the fire lizards and dragons. I do keep in mind it’s a short book so she doesn’t go super into detail about how they look but she puts a lot of detail into how they function and how the society functions as a whole, which is nice.

Overall it’s a great book for the time it was released and for the targeted audience, I feel had I not read this at the age of 12 I probably wouldn’t have such love for it like I do. Still it’s great writing I won’t deny that, and it’s still a special love for me. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Aug 13, 2019 |
2019 reread via audiobook narrated by Sally Darling, borrowed from RBDigital ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
amazing my dad has the series :) ( )
  zekromblue | May 29, 2019 |
Loved these books as a teen. Still lovely. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
2014 re-read. Review forthcoming ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |

Orosz, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pierce, TamoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bohusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinsalu, TiinaKujundaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robert-Forest, Marie-ChristineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roe, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rondeaux, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thimonier, DidierCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uustalu, LindaToimetaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beth Blish who stands first in line for a dragon - behind me!
Almost as if the elements, too, mourned the death of the gentle old Harper, a southeaster blew for three days, locking even the burial barge in the safety of the Dock Cavern.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258524, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling Harper Hall Trilogy  is a wonder-filled classic of the  imagination. Dragonsong, the first volume in the  series, is the enchanting tale of how Menolly of  Half Circle Hold became Pern's first female Harper,  and rediscovered the legendary fire lizards who  helped to save her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Forbidden by her father to indulge in music in any way, a girl on the planet Pern runs away, taking shelter with the planet's fire lizards who, along with her music, opens a new life for her.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,504,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible