Lyndon: An Oral Biography by Merle Miller

Lyndon: An Oral Biography (1980)

by Merle Miller

GREAT CONDITION! ( )
  leslie440 | Jan 5, 2012 |
I thought that this "Oral Biography" style of presentation was going to be a bit difficult to read and digest. After about the 5th page I changed my mind.
I started to like it. Even though the biographer chooses which quotes he wants to use, he doesn't choose the words or the emotions. Therefore, I believe this book carries an accurate account of who Lyndon Johnson was. I found myself liking the raw reality of the man but, not until the very end did I really believe that he was an all-out democrat who actually cared a great deal about social justice for all Americans. Yes, he taught and enjoyed little Latino kids in south Texas and yes, he rammed through two Civil Rights bills at propitious moments in his presidency but my impression was that the bills were more about aggrandizement than deep-rooted belief. His speech and rebuttal at his library in December 1972 made me a believer. ( )
  gmillar | Sep 1, 2009 |
For my friends David and Carol.
Aunt Jessie Hatcher: "The night that Lyndon came, why, we had the biggest storm we ever had, and couldn't get a doctor. And that was the beginning."
"The only thing the guy has that gives him immortality other than his beliefs - he may be an atheist - is his citizenship as an American................They take your name away in the end. But,' he said, 'For them to attack this country is to attack the immortality of most of the bastards who make up this country.'"
"But I have never known him to pick on a small person in a small situation. At least he chose his adversaries of equivalent size and I think that's a pretty good epitaph for him."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible