Robot Visions by Isaac Asimov
Title:Robot Visions
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Roc (1996), Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Robot Visions by Isaac Asimov

Si aún no lo sabes, descubre por qué Isaac Asimov es uno de los padres de la ciencia-ficción moderna.

Lee mi reseña completa aquí. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |

As with the companion anthology, Robot Dreams, this included a lot of stories which I had fairly recently returned to in The Complete Robot and did not especially like; a smaller number of stories which were new to me and which I generally liked a bit more; and some lovely illustrations by Ralph McQuarry. It also ends with a number of essays on robots by Asimov, most of which are about how clever he was to have invented the Three Laws. What really struck me was how little adaptation he felt he needed to make to the changing times; Alan Turing completed his PhD in 1938, just before Asimov started publishing, and in real life artificial intelligence has followed Turing's path and never come close to Asimov's. Likewise, the ethical and even political dilemmas faced by Asimov's characters seem rather pale now; I don't see much reference, even implicit, to John Rawls (who in fairness published A Theory of Justice only in 1971, almost three decades after the Laws of Robotics). ( )
  nwhyte | Aug 21, 2018 |
Since I've criticized Asimov for gender bias previously, I feel I owe it to mention that in this book, somewhere in the mid to late sixties, he appears to have recognized the problem and evolved his outlook on women.

In "Feminine Intuition," Susan Calvin becomes more fully fleshed out than her prior stereotypical old maid incarnations. The point is made that instead of recognizing a woman's intellect and logic is what it is that there is a sexist tendency to rename it as something mystical. In "The Bicentennial Man," we see strong and complete female characters who are not deemed unlovable because of their strength and who are presented as leaders without implications that the jobs were easy and unwanted by men. In "Think!," he addresses the discriminatory notion that a woman may not be attractive and competent.

Personally, I could have cheerfully omitted the essays at the end despite the fact that they contained some wonderful concepts. En masse they come across as repetitive. Additionally, they contain some quasi-spoilers for some of his other works. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jul 11, 2018 |
This is a retrospective collection of many of Asimov's most famous and significant robot short stories that were written and published over a period of half a century, including seven of the nine stories in his classic "I, Robot" collection, from his first imagination of a robot childminder in 1939's "Robbie", through the early articulation of the three laws of robotics in "LIar" and "Runaround", and later examinations where loopholes in the laws drive some ingenious plots. One story features the return of Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw from the classic robot novels "The Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun". There is one new story in the collection, the title story which, unusually for Asimov, features time travel. The book is topped off by a collection of Asimov's short essays and articles, again published over a period of several decades, on his thoughts about how real robots might work, and how they might relate to humans and improve our life experiences. This sequence begins with a 1954 article on his approach to the conceptualisation of robots in his fiction compared to the approaches of earlier authors. The other articles are from the 1970s and 1980s, fascinatingly exploring the relationship between the fictional and real development of robots and computers. Asimov's writing is never less than engaging and the length of his writing career and his prolific output during 50 years of huge technological advance enable much interesting reflection and speculation about both positive and negative human reactions to technology.

Finally, the stories contain a number of slightly odd illustrations of robots depicted in various scenes, but nearly all of which look exactly the same, not matching the very varied descriptions of robots given in the stories, which in fictional terms take place over probably two or three centuries of human development of robots. ( )
  john257hopper | Feb 3, 2018 |
Many of the classic stories from I, Robot and several of the newer ones from the 1970s and 80s. Worth the time for an Asimov fan or classic Science fiction fan. ( )
  steve12553 | Jun 7, 2016 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cortina, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McQuarrie, RalphIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McQuarrie, RalphCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gardner Dozois and Stan Schmidt,
colleagues and friends.
What is a robot?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451450647, Mass Market Paperback)

From the writer whose name is synonymous with the science of robotics comes five decades of robot visions-36 landmark stories and essays, plus three rare tales-gathered together in one volume.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:00 -0400)

Contains 36 short stories and essays on robots.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,587,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible