Second Foundation (Foundation Novels) by…

Second Foundation (Foundation Novels) (original 1953; edition 1991)

by Isaac Asimov

9,27591513 (4.01)1 / 144
Member:XanderS
Title:Second Foundation (Foundation Novels)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1991), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read, Read before 2011
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction, Asimov, Read, Read before 2011

Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Author) (1953)

English (77)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (90)
Second Foundation, the third Foundation book to be published, but fifth in order of chronology, finds everyone looking for the Second Foundation. Hari Seldon, the last great scientist of the First Empire, has developed the science of human behavior to be distilled into a complicated mathematical equation. This science has the capability of predicting the future through human thought and emotion. Colonies of such scientists are camped out in Foundations, one at either end of the universe. In Part One The Mule, calling himself First Citizen of the Union, and his Regime are desperate to find the Second Foundation. Does it even exist? He enlists the help of Bail Channis, the one individual not afraid of him or influenced by his power.
The fascinating thing is Channis is not the plant but rather his knowledge is the true decoy. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Apr 20, 2019 |
So, to my legion of followers who've nodded sagely at my commentary while reading 'The Foundation Trilogy', and who might have noticed the discrepancy between my complaints and my final 'rating', you may be asking what use was all that griping if I ended up liking the books after all?

To that I can only say that, like his psychohistory, Asimov works best when dealing with larger problems. When it comes to individual characters it's mostly a wash.

The only exception to this is the unusually precocious Arkady who spies on her father and his friends' conspiracy meetings and sneaks into a mission to discover the location of the Second Foundation. That section of the book also had a great deal more humor in it, I loved the scene that played on the "big reveal" moments SF books can have.

The overall plot was engaging and I think this trilogy works pretty well on its own even if the Seldon Plan doesn't "complete" its 1,000 year workings "in-book". Seeing the end doesn't matter, and I don't plan on reading the later books Asimov wrote decades later, either. I'll ESPECIALLY not touch the books written by other authors.

I'm glad I read these, but I can't promote them as being of interest to anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in SF books already.

Foundation

Next: 'Foundation's Edge'

Previous: 'Foundation and Empire' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I believe the entire Foundation story is more than the sum of its parts. Since I started with the Robots series, I have huge expectations going forward. It was clear early on that Asimov got better as he got older. Since these were written REALLY early in his career, they're not quite as good. Characters are a bit loose, and I often feel like I'm playing catchup.

That being said - really enjoyed this book. The whole concept of the two Foundations, Hari Seldon's Plan, the Mule, the psychological/physical war between space civilizations is absolutely compelling and exciting to read. It's easy to put yourself thousands of years in the future. I loved Arkady's story, although I still feel the whole book was disjointed as it was basically two short stories mushed together. Still, fantastic stuff and another great ending. The location of the Second Foundation definitely surprised me but, as always, made sense in the world Asimov's created. ( )
1 vote hskey | Oct 12, 2018 |
Where history concerns mainly personalities, the drawings become either black or white according to the interests of the writer.

Like many of the Sci-fi Godfathers, Asimov writes grand, breathtaking stories with delightful simplicity. For the whole trilogy, I’d give it 4 stars. The part that confuses me though, is for the second time in the trilogy, I can’t give this individual book more than 3.

There are considerable spans of times between the books. This leaves the only consistent character to be the myth, Hari Seldon, whom you’ve never met. The characters we do meet and know, though enjoyable, are not very relatable or complex. They’re all small parts in the grand picture that Asimov is building. That picture that hooked me.

There are two fundamental parts to his exploration. The first is the power of the will and the purpose of human agency within the massive ebbs and flows of humanity. The second is the exploration of the role and power of religion. When there is something that seems so big, so inescapable, what power do you have to escape it? To stop it? Is it the mere belief that you are on the side of some bigger truth that tips the balance from defeat to victory? Does that belief make it real? ( )
  Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
I liked this book much better than the last one. I was initially disappointed that the Mule's story ended so quickly, but he second story was just as good. It was a little slow at times, but I enjoyed the mystery of where is the Second Foundation. And it's so nice to now actually know. When Arcadia went to Trantor, I thought I knew where the Second Foundation was but I didn't believe it and so I was still guessing all the way to the end. I'm now torn though. Part of me wants to keep reading to see how it continues but part of me is sick of these short stories where it's a chore for me to get through them. I'm just not a big fan of short stories. I like having the entire book to get to know the characters and follow the plot. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |

Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Marcia, John, and Stan
To the memory of John W. Campbell, Jr.
(1910-1971)
Prologue:
The First Galactic Empire had endured for tens of thousands of years.
Headnote:
THE MULE It was after the fall of the First Foundation that the constructive aspects of the Mule's regime took shape.
Text:
There is much more that the Encyclopedia has to say on the subject of the Mule and his Empire but almost all of it is not germane to the issue at immediate hand, and most of it is considerably too dry for our purposes in any case.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels are one of the great masterworks of science fiction. As unsurpassed blend of nonstop action, daring ideas, and extensive world-building, they chronicle the struggle of a courageous group of men and women dedicated to preserving humanity's light in a galaxy plunged into a nightmare of ignorance and violence thirty thousand years long.

After years of struggle, the Foundation lies in ruins—destroyed by the mutant mind power of the Mule. But it is rumored that there is a Second Foundation hidden somewhere at the end of the Galaxy, established to preserve the knowledge of mankind through the long centuries of barbarism. The Mule failed to find it the first time—but now he is certain he knows where it lies.

The fate of the Foundation rests on young Arcadia Darell, only fourteen years old and burdened with a terrible secret. As its scientists gird for a final showdown with the Mule, the survivors of the First Foundation begin their desperate search. They too want the Second Foundation destroyed…before it destroys them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

The Second Foundation meets the threat of a perilous mutant, only to face the challenge of the corrupt First Foundation for control of the galatic empire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,423,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible