Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

Quo Vadis (original 1896; edition 1997)

by Henryk Sienkiewicz (Author), W.S. Kuniczak (Translator)

Rome during the reign of Nero was a glorious place for the emperor and his court; there were grand feasts, tournaments for poets, and exciting games and circuses filling the days and nights. The pageantry and pretentious displays of excess were sufficient to cloy the senses of participants as well as to offend the sensitive. Petronius, a generous and noble Roman, a man of the world much in favor at the court of Nero, is intrigued by a strange tale related by his nephew Marcus Vinitius of his encounter with a mysterious young woman called Ligia with whom Vinitius falls madly in love. Ligia, a captured King's daughter and a one-time hostage of Rome, is now a foster child of a noble Roman household. She is also a Christian. The setting of the narrative was prepared with utmost care. Henryk Sienkiewicz visited the Roman settings many times and was thoroughly educated in the historical background. As an attempt to create the spirit of antiquity, the novel met with unanimous acclaim, which earned the Nobel Prize in literature for the author in 1905. As a vision of ancient Rome and early Christianity it has not yet been surpassed, almost a century later.… (more)
Member:Marco357
Title:Quo Vadis
Authors:Henryk Sienkiewicz (Author)
Other authors:W.S. Kuniczak (Translator)
Info:Hippocrene Books (1997), Edition: Revised, 589 pages
Tags:to-read

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1896)

English (36)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (45)
I read this book in high school, around the same time I read Ben-Hur. The book was translated from Polish and originally published in 1896 by author Henryk Sienkiewicz.

This story takes you to ancient Rome — the people (rich and poor) and the times when Christianity was challenging the immorality of Nero's Rome. The backdrop revolves around a Roman centurion's love for a mysterious woman, a Christian. He must learn the importance of moral courage. Especially considering what Nero had planned for Christians.

Quotes:

“Why does crime, even when as powerful as Cæsar, and assured of being beyond punishment, strive always for the appearances of truth, justice, and virtue? Why does it take the trouble?”

"If we repay evil with good, then how do we repay the good?”

“It seemed that out of every tear of a martyr new confessors were born, and that every groan on the arena found an echo in thousands of breasts. Caesar was swimming in blood, Rome and the whole pagan world was mad."

When they found a God whom they could love, they had found that which the society of the time could not give any one, -- happiness and love.”

“Youth is the one worthwhile treasure in this world, no matter how miserable the rest of life might be.”

And the final graphs:

"And thus passed Nero, as passes a hurricane, tempest, fire, war or plague, but even now the Basilica of Peter rules from the Vatican Heights over the city and the world.

"Near the former Bapenian Gate, to-day there is a small chapel with an almost-obliterated inscription: Quo vadis Domine?"

Online search found this:

"Quo Vadis or Domine, quo vadis?, meaning Lord, where are you going?, a text from the Apocryphal Acts of Peter composed c. ' And Peter said to him, 'Lord, art thou being crucified again?' ... He said to him, 'Yes, Peter, I am being crucified again." ( )
  LJCain | Jan 14, 2021 |
Front cover and title page wanting. Spine broken, pages loose. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
Quo Vadis is the story of a young man that falls in love with a young woman. The fact that it happens during the time of the Christian Persecutions during the reign of Nero ties intimately into the story. I had initially found an updated translation of this book, but I could not finish it in time and had to settle for the version done by Jeremiah Curtin. Curtin's version is acceptable but it reminds me more of the King James Bible than anything, due to the dialogue and the way the people talk to each other. This is not exactly a good thing, so I read ahead and didn't really feel like finishing it.

Maybe if I find the newer translation again I will give it another go. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Okay, I actually didn't finish. This is one of my few DNF's. I got about halfway and I just can't go any further.
I had this on my reader for a while. I remember reading The Silver Chalice, The Robe, and of course, Ben Hur back in my youth and thought this might be in the same vein. However, the writing is so florid that I'm just skipping huge sections just trying to find something that advances the plot. We have Vinicius and Lygia who are in love, but she's a Christian and he's a Roman noble. The Apostle Peter and Paul of Tarsus convert Vinicius; meanwhile, Nero is running around Rome and Italy. That's it after 300 pages. I haven't even got to the burning of Rome and the persecution of the Christians which I hope could be more interesting. BUT I JUST CAN"T READ THIS ANYMORE!!!! ( )
  N.W.Moors | Sep 10, 2018 |
This is an amazing fictional history of Rome during the time of Nero, a love story between a Roman patrician and a Lygerian hostage, and the story of the rise of and persecution of the Christian church. The story brings to wonderful life the beauty and excess of the lives of wealthy Romans, their bone-deep belief that they are superior to all people, and the precariousness of life under the mad despot Nero. In contrast, the work of Peter the Apostle and Paul of Tarsus are building the Christian church and giving people something bigger to believe in and a faith that sustains. In the midst of these vastly different life views the book features the love story of Vinicius, the quintessential Roman citizen, and the pure heart of Lygeria, the daughter of a barbarian king.

I've never been particularly interested in the history of the Roman Empire and read this at the suggestion of another Shelfarian. The book was difficult in the beginning because of the use of so many Latin words and a wide cast of characters; but it wasn't long before the story drew me in completely and soon I couldn't put it down. I was pulled along as if reading a great suspense novel. This, to me, is a prime example of the benefits of expanding one's reading horizons. While the story has a strong Christian bent, I believe it would be worthwhile reading for anyone. ( )
1 vote LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |

Seliger, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seliger, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvio, MailaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zamenhof, LidjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petronius woke only about midday, and as usual greatly wearied.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,629,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible