Grump Groan Growl (2008)

by bell hooks, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

Rhythmic text exposes a bad mood on the prowl, and advises the reader not to hide, but to let those feelings be.

I wanted to like this more than I did, with Raschka's illustrations and bell hooks' text. But it just didn't grab me. More books about kids in bad moods, please! ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
I really liked this book for its simple message and fantastic illustrations. As the mother of a daughter with bipolar disorder, this book really spoke to me. The illustrations depict a child that feels like a wild monster because of his bad mood, very much how my daughter has described her own feelings at times. This book isn't just for those who have mood disorders. It’s a good read for anyone who has ever experienced a bad mood, and who hasn't ever been in a bad mood?

The illustrations are drawn as if a child had finger painted them. This was a nice touch in addition to the bold colors and striking black text on each page. The story could have been told with the illustrations alone.

The big idea of the book was that bad moods will pass. We all get grumpy at times, but we pull out of it. ( )
  Tammie14 | Oct 14, 2013 |
A book about what it feels like to be in a bad mood and how it’s OK to feel that way sometimes, and that it will pass. Raschka’s illustrations depict a kid feeling like a wild monster. Great book to use for discussing feelings and appropriate ways to respond.
  KimReadingLog | May 13, 2012 |
Bold, wild watercolor illustrations (in which the rhyming text is also painted instead of typed) wonderfully illustrate a bad mood and how to help control those wild feelings.
  kateweber | May 10, 2009 |
Illustrations match the feelings of the grumpy boy in the story. ( )
  MrsBond | Jan 16, 2009 |

bell hooksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
for MARCUS
best boy --
beloved reader
-- bh
For bell -- CR

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,881,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible